Thursday, October 30, 2008

Unbelievably-last-minute pumpkin carving tips

So, I know this is SO after-the-fact, but give me a break--things have been a little crazy around here... Anyway, we finally carved our pumpkins for Family Home Evening on Monday night, and we put into action some of the tips I've gotten from farmers this season:

*When you are first trying to get into your pumpkin, cut off the bottom instead of the top! That way it will sit flat, you can just put your candle down and place the pumpkin over it, AND when you have to throw it away, you just pick it up by the stem! GENIUS!!!!! 

*When you're trying to scoop out the junk from the inside of your pumpkin, use an ice cream scoop--preferrably one with a serrated edge, but not necessary. It cut our "scraping out" time by more than half, seriously!!! Why did I not think of these things before???

Anyway, I was going to post a picture of our finished product--but the batteries in my camera are dead, so you'll just have to wait till tomorrow. I know, it will be rough :o)

Happy Halloween, everyone!!!! 
And don't eat any of those pirate chocolate coins I've gotten 85,000 emails about... 
OK, there--I've warned you!

6 comments:

Sharlynn said...

Those are some great tips. I will have to remember them for next year. I can't wait until we see your pumpkins. Don't forget to take a picture!

Lollidale Farm said...

Cool tips! I've never thought of cutting off the bottom. We never made it to the pumpkin patch with the family, and our little pumpkins are staying uncarved this year. Oh well!

PS--I love your warning at the end. :)

Heather K said...

I'm so glad you are posting more often. It's so fun to read what you guys are up to.
We miss you! Have a good halloween!

Lis said...

oh my gosh HOW SMART!!!!! Thats hilarious! Ill be carving mine tomorrow! Thats so awesome! Thanks!!! ANd yah i got 4 million emails about the candy china milk coins too! DONT EATEM!

Anie said...

THANKS for the pumpkin carving tips!!!!! Spencer was just on his way out the door to get our carving tools! Ya, we're just carving our pumpkin today!!! Nice-huh! I've never carved my own pumpkin before- how sad is that!?!?! I will definitely be following your tips! Anything to make it easier! You know how I get with gross, yucky stuff! Happy Halloween! :)

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Holy cow, what great ideas! I'll make sure to use them next year.

And LOL about the pirate emails... yeah, me too.