Thursday, March 15, 2007

Match Day!

So March 15th is one of the most important days in a medical student's career. After almost four years of medical school, you have decided what field you would like to pursue. Throughout the fall and winter, you apply for residency positions within that field throughout the country. You pay your own way to fly all over kingdom-come to interview with the programs that selected you, and the more programs you apply to, the more chances you have of getting into one of them... When all this is done, you rank the programs you interviewed with in list-form according to which ones you liked best. Then you sit on your duff and wait until March 15th.

Today, at the same time all over the country (EST was 12:00 noon), 4th-year medical students opened an envelope addressed to them telling them where they "matched", which means that a program they ranked also ranked them, thereby matching them to each other! This will be where they spend the next 3-10 years of their lives, training in their specialty of choice. As I write this, I realize how confusing it must be to anyone else. But it's the day people have been waiting and working 4 hard years for. And it's a sweet day for all of us...

Because Jeremy is in the military, he found out in December where he matched. It took a little bit of the fun out of Match Day for us... But we wanted to be there with all of our friends, and Jeremy still got an envelope. "Surprise! You're going to Walter Reed!" Anyway, we sat with our friends and shared in the fun. At exactly noon, they sounded a fog horn and everyone tore into their envelopes. There were lots of screams for joy, and most people were really excited about their match. A few people didn't end up going where they hoped to, and it's so hard to know what to say to them. But all of our friends matched with either their 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice--so we were a happy group today!

It was a very emotional day for me as well. As I sat there looking around at families I have grown to love so much here in Columbus, my heart was filled to overflowing. I knew that in a few minutes our worlds would begin to be separated as we prepare for lives in different parts of the country. I realized that this place has been a little bit of heaven, and I'm so grateful for it! So I want to take a few minutes to highlight a few of the families who matched today (in alphabetical order), and tell you why we love them:

Jared & Jessica matched in Family Medicine in Washington, just 2 hours away from Jared's family. Jared couldn't decide on a specialty, so he let the match decide for him--smart! We love to go camping with them and wish we could have done it more often. Jessica is one of the most thoughtful people I know--I will always remember the Valentine she gave me with a list of "The Top 10 Reasons I Love Karen." I keep trying to pay that one forward. Jessica is always learning; she loves to ask questions and find out the answers. She is also a great listener.

Kevin & Heather matched in Pediatrics in North Carolina. I am jealous!!! I think Charlotte is the most beautiful city. Their daughter Grace and Ethan have been in preschool together this winter, so it's been fun seeing them more often. Heather had twins last June, and as if I didn't already think she was amazing--this sealed it! She is so positive, so honest with herself and others, and so real. Every time I am with Heather I learn something. She is the kind of friend I always need in my life!

Mike & Emily matched in Radiology in New Mexico. Mike and Jeremy became fast friends the first week of med school as they bonded in Anatomy Lab. Emily and I were both Humanities majors, although we can't remember what class we had together. We are kindred spirits! Emily is so intelligent--I love going to Book Club just to hear what she has to say about our current selection. I am smarter because of Emily! She makes me think in new ways and expresses her thoughts (so often my own as well) in a way I never could. And I will always be grateful to her for suggesting "Wild Swans". It changed my life :o)

John & Colleen matched in Obstetrics/Gynecology at Akron, Ohio. I'm just glad it's still within driving distance of Washington, DC--my prayers were answered! John and Jeremy knew each other briefly at BYU, so it was fun to reconnect with them out here. I first met Colleen at the White Coat Ceremony in August 2003--she was holding 1-yr. old Gabby, and I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with Ethan. What a pair! Since then, our families have grown so close, it will be hard to move apart from them. My boys don't know life without Gabby and Addie! If I'm remembering right, we have shared at least one of each holiday with them, except maybe New Years? Valentines Day cookie decorating, Easter egg hunts in the park, Memorial Day picnics and the best 4th of July ever, EVERY Halloween, Thanksgiving and 4:00am Black Friday at Kohls :o), and a Christmas potluck. Ironically, although John and I share the same birthday in December, I don't think we've ever celebrated it together! However, Colleen and I have walked and talked about every possible topic, stayed up late sitting in the car in the driveway just because we could, participated in a kidnapping, and shared much of ourselves with each other. I watched her new baby get her first bath in the hospital and cried like she was my own. John drove me to that same hospital at 4:30am and sat with me as I cried through my first miscarriage. Colleen picked me up and cried with me, as if her own heart was breaking. I have been blessed with such friends!!!

Yikes, you knew I was crying by now. I just felt like the moment froze in time today, and I could see God's hand guiding me to this place because He knew I would need people like this in my life. I will be forever grateful for this wonderful opportunity...

6 comments:

daveghax said...

see that? right there? that, that thing that just happened, the thing you just wrote, and shared with the people you care about and people who care about you, but were it not for the post, would never have been able to share that moment? that, right there. that is what blogs are for. :)

Karen said...

I love you, Dave.

everything pink! said...

Oh, i have been thinking about all of our medical friends today, it is such big day.
at tulane they called your name and the whole class watched you open it, kind of stressful for sure.
good thing you guys matched at the BEST PLACE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am Laura said...

Love your post. You have such great writing skills. It will be so hard to leave Columbus. Colleen sounds like such a great friend. I have a friend in my ward like that. How do we leave them. It is like leaving a part of you behind. Glad to see your blog. I will frequent it often.

Em said...

I came across your site from mutual blogger "friends" and got really excited to see your latest post. It was great to see you for a split second yesterday. Congrats on your December match! I bet you'll love D.C (Duncan and I were just talking about going out there on a trip because I've never even been)!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet thing to do, Karsie! I love your tributes to dear friends, Karsie,...and your thoughts on Chris at his birthday time.

You've had a "rich" harvest of friends while in Ohio and be assured that many of those couples will cross your paths again during your lifetime.

Thanks for including all of the family with great pictures and feelings.

..and you are right, Dave, this blog wouldn't have happened without you and Todd. Appreciation to you, two, as well.
xoxoxGrams