Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Arrrr, me matey!

Bennett's birthday party was on the 18th. He and Ethan are totally into pirates right now, so there was NO way I was going to get out of the themed party :o) We just dove in and became pirates ourselves!!! It was so much fun...


I found a great place online to get all of the party gear for a pretty good deal, and I highly recommend them. They're located in Gaithersburg MD, so if you're close by, you can just go pick up your stuff and not pay for shipping! Check them out at birthday-in-a-box :o)
When everyone got there, of course they had to get into their pirate gear! So we did a relay to get dressed up, the only thing they weren't excited about was the clip-on earring :o) They learned some new pirate words, had a mini-pirate squabble, and we were in the spirit of the day!


Captain Blackbeard left the party-goers a message in a bottle, with clues that led them all around the neighborhood.

X marked the spot back home on the patio with a treasure chest pinata. The boys believed 100% that pirates had really come the night before--they were a little nervous going outside for fear that the pirates were hiding in the woods behind our house. But I said they must be nice pirates if they left you candy! and then everyone was OK.

Bennett doesn't like cake, so every year it's a challenge to figure out what we're going to put a candle in. I think we've finally got it down--"make your own sundaes" were a huge hit! We'll just vary the toppings each year to shake things up a bit, but I think we've found ourselves a winner...

Ethan got the prize for best gift :o)

We ALL had a blast...

3 comments:

katieo said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! My boys are loving pirates too right now.

(and I love the last picture. We see lots of those kind of hugs around our house! :)

Sharlynn said...

You are such a fun mom. What a fun party. You are so creative too. Way to go and Happy Birthday Bennett

mindy said...

fun fun! I can't believe he doesn't like cake! Zion has loved cake since she was old enough to tell us about loving it. We used to play a game with her about it in the car: "Would you eat foot cake?" "Foot cake? Yuck!" "Would you eat juice cake?" "Yum! Juice cake!" I think cake is one of her favorite things about birthdays, and she gets absolutely thrilled when we have cake just for the heck of it!