Thursday, August 09, 2007

Binge blogger...

I've been kind of down lately--probably the combination of moving to a new place where we don't know very many people yet, don't know all the fun things to do here and the ones we do know about are starting to get really old, plus Jeremy is gone 24/7 and we miss him!!! I've been living from vacation to vacation, or family visit to family visit, throughout the summer and now it's winding down as we get ready for school to start--which is a whole new ordeal in itself, sending off my oldest to kindergarten.
Anyway, sob sob sob... I was reading through my blog and realized that it kind of mirrors the way I feel about my life right now. My posts go from one big event to the next, with not a whole lot of "real life" in between. And frankly, we have a lot of real life moments around here...
So I am committing to do a better job of looking for the joy in the everyday goings-on, and therefore documenting them. So many of you are great at this--"my kid said the funniest thing today" or "I made the best dinner last night" or "We had 2 earthquakes this week" (!!!!). I need to appreciate the excitement I am constantly surrounded by! I will try to do a better job--but still keep it simple... :o)

7 comments:

becca said...

Either you read my earthquake post, or someone else lives in Los Angeles. Hmmm. Did Dave blog about earthquakes, too? Two in a week has been noteworthy.

I love all your vacation blogs -- we get to see GREAT pictures of your boys! But I agree with you: the burdens and joys of "real life" are blogworthy as well. Blogging the fastest way that I've found to connect with all my friends and family.

So if you did read my earthquake blog, thanks! And I love any post on your site -- momentous or momentary.

Karen said...

yep, becca--that was your earthquake story! i cracked up because i could just hear the conversation between you and matt, and then your flashback to earlier days in CA. you're so good at catching those funny moments :o)

I am Laura said...

Well, I check your blog almost everyday so I would love to see more posts. It is therapeutic for me to write all the stuff in my life down even though I probably shouldn't let the whole world know all my business. I think it is good to just express yourself. Oh, and I will email you shortly about the whole exercise thing.

Poulsen Family said...

I love reading your blog! No protests from me if you were to write more often, it's fun to see other people's ideas. Speaking of...I rented 123 Magic from the library because of you and am currently reading it...I think that it might just help out around here, especially with Jacob gone all the time. How did you like Twilight? I noticed I was reading it the same time as you. I'm also having a hard time getting the hang of our new area. It's tough moving to a new place and having to reestablish, but I feel the worst about Bryant who asks to move back to MO because he misses his friends. There are more boys his age in this ward than in MO, but it's been really hard for us to get to know them.I guess I just need to give it some time and have faith, I know we were supposed to be here. I'm just glad I have one more year for Bryant to be home, it must be hard to be sending your first off to kindergarten. Bryant misses the deadline by a few months. K, sorry for the novel!

Sharlynn said...

I am on the same page as everyone else. I check your blog often and love to hear what is goiing on with you. I just miss you so much! You are such an amazing person adn when I read your blog it is like no time has gone by since the last time we spoke. I hope you start feeling better.

Sydney said...

I can totally relate Karen. Being a military family and having moved twice in the past two years and gearing up for another move in 11 months- it's SO hard to make friends and try and fit in to a place where everyone already seems to have their groove but once you do, it's totally worth it (as you know).

So here are my two bits.
1)Find a club. Whether it's a book club through church or through your library- find it and belong. If it means getting a sitter once a month, do it and really get to know the others in the group.
2)Find a young mom's group such as MOPS. I did this in CO and it made all the difference. Check them out at www.mops.org
3) Start your own club. In every place I've lived I've started a "girls night out". It's different in each place. Cleveland we played Bunko, CO we did crafts/cards and here in ID we exchange recipes. It's a great excuse to get together and I had to be the one to host the first month and get it rolling. Even if only a few people come, it's a chance to socialize.

Okay, enough of my ramblings. You'll find your groove. Summers are always hard because no one seems to have a schedule, once the routines start again you'll find that BF:)

Karen said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's good to know that I'm not the only one in this boat :o) And summers are hard with the lack of schedule!!! I am working on starting a Book Club here slowly but surely--I can't live long without one :o) And I've offered to help head up one of the Enrichment Activity groups too, so that will be good for me too. I just love you guys--it is therapeutic writing down what I'm feeling, but I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me :o) I'm just working through it, that's all! I'll keep you posted on my progress, this week has already been better!