"In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured."
Gordon B. Hinckley

My sister called last night to tell us that President Hinckley had passed away. My immediate thought was, "What heaven must be like right now!" It was evident every time he spoke how much President Hinckley missed his wife. What a sweet reunion with her... and with all those whose torch he has carried so valiantly. While we will miss his eternal optimism and his love for life, could anyone have lived better?!
Gordon B. Hinckley

My sister called last night to tell us that President Hinckley had passed away. My immediate thought was, "What heaven must be like right now!" It was evident every time he spoke how much President Hinckley missed his wife. What a sweet reunion with her... and with all those whose torch he has carried so valiantly. While we will miss his eternal optimism and his love for life, could anyone have lived better?!

As I look around my house this morning, I am being constantly reminded of the influence President Hinckley's good life has had upon my own and that of my family. Here are just a few reasons we love him so much:
The wedding picture in our front room shows Jeremy and I standing in front of the Mount Timpanogos Temple where we were sealed, which was dedicated by President Hinckley in 1996--the first temple dedication I ever attended.I remember exactly where I was sitting in the Marriott Center at BYU when I saw President Hinckley in person for the first time. For 5 years, I looked forward to each devotional he gave; one of my favorites can be found here.
I found sidenotes in the margins of my Book of Mormon during scripture study this morning which were written in 2005 when President Hinckley challenged us to read it in 4 months.This is what he said:
"I offer a challenge to members of the Church throughout the world and to our friends everywhere to read or reread the Book of Mormon... Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God." How right he was!!!
This sweet picture of my missionary (before he was mine :o) has been sitting on the counter, waiting to be re-filed for a while now. I'm so glad it was out this morning! Amazingly enough, President Hinckley sent Jer, all of my brothers and all my brothers-in-law on their missions! My baby brother is actually serving in New Caledonia as we speak. What a missionary legacy...I helped my boys get dressed for school and looked up on their wall to see President Hinckley's 6 Be's, and I thought how my boys have only known one prophet in their lifetime. We were in Salt Lake for the 24th of July parade a couple years ago, and Bennett could have cared less about the floats and candy--he just wanted to see President Hinckley!
He waved and yelled to him, and President Hinckley looked right at my sweet boy and waved back. Neither one of us will ever forget that precious moment...Hanging in my kitchen is "The Family: A Proclamation to the World," read by President Hinckley to the women of the Church in 1995 (only 6 months after becoming the prophet!). As I read it this morning, I realized what an incredible influence this good man has had, not only upon me and my own little family, but on the whole world! Check out this clip remembering President Hinckley on NPR's Morning Edition today.
A dear friend took this spontaneous picture of our family last night--little did she know that she was documenting a moment in time. Our faces reflect the love we feel for each other, the comfort that comes in knowing that we are forever, and the blessings that flow from living the gospel plan. How grateful we are for the counsel of a living prophet!!!We will miss you dearly, President Hinckley...
PS: My sweet friend Jennie sent me this link to a great slideshow on President Hinckley's life and influence at Brigham Young University, my alma mater. Enjoy!
PS: My sweet friend Jennie sent me this link to a great slideshow on President Hinckley's life and influence at Brigham Young University, my alma mater. Enjoy!
13 comments:
This was such a sweet post. Thank you. All the pictures are perfect. He really was such an amazing man.
I love the sweet picture of your family.
Karen,
Thank you for your sweet memorial to President Hinkley! The first thing I did this morning when I heard the news was sit down with my kids to say a prayer of thanks for his life, service, and example.... and then I read his last talk from October's conference. It's hard to imagine the Church without him, but I am so happy for him and Margorie right now! How happy they must be.
What a beautiful picture of your family!
I love that picture of your family. You are so cute. thanks for the post.
Karen- it's always inspiring to read your blog. I am a closet blog reader, I never leave comments, but always try to check up on you!! I finally did a blog, so check it out. No pics yet, their coming. My new info is posted though, so call me sometime!
Kortney Manning
www.gandkmanning.blogspot.com
I LOVE this post! I was trying to think of something sweet and memorable to post about what an amazing prophet President Hinckley was, but I was struggling to come up with the words to describe what an impact he has left on my life and the lifes of those around me. Your post really hit home for me. May I just say amen to eveything you wrote. Those pictures were prefect as well. Thank you for sharing!! Oh, and I know I already said it once, but I LOVE that picture of your family!
Beautiful post Karen!
I love reading everyone's feelings on his passing.
(And what a beautiful family picture!)
I enjoyed reading your thoughts. It's amazing that one man could have such a place in millions of hearts. And engender so much love from so many. Even though few of us interacted with him personally (I did get to watch the premier of The Testaments in the same room as him!), we all feel like he knew us and loved us individually.
What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful man. I still can't think about loosing him without crying. I miss him so much. I know everyone keeps saying how their first thought was "how wonderful. he is with his wife again." Mine was a selfish cry of NOOOO! I thought he would live forever. A few months ago I thought about sending him a letter just to tell him how much I love him, but couldn't get up the guts. I do love that man so much, he is incredible. Just as your tribute talks about, the life he lead, the never ending dedication, service and energy and the lives he touched, like mine, without ever meeting him. Thanks for making me cry, again. Janine
Karen-
Great post. I think your thoughts are feelings about President Hinkley are exactly how we are all feeling. He has impacted so many lives and I know we will all miss him for a long time. I love that first picture of him that you posted. Thanks!
Also, how are you doing? It was great to talk to you last week, and I meant to check back with you to see how things are...
Karezy, i have read quite a few postings and comments about President Hinckley's passing. None of them compares with yours. It's so natural, so complete, such a powerful reflection of his life and the Savior's will as it shines down in one particular spot, your home. The strength is in the spontaneity. I can see you moving from one place to another in your home, from one part of your day to another, and in each spot the Lord, through his prophet, is looking over your shoulder. I needed to see this today. Happy Daddy, happy family, happy Prophet, happy Lord.
So I feel a little guilty writing about tortillas on such a beautiful post- but you requested it! You can find the un-cooked flour tortillas in the refrigerated section usually near the yogurts (at least that's where they are in my Costco). Usually they are on the top shelf. The are in a plastic wrapper and sell for about $5 for 44 tortillas. The brand is "tortilla land"- once you look for them you'll find them and never go back to the others again...that I promise! Let me know what you think!
What great photos of both your family and wedding. You look as beautiful as ever. Lovely post as usual. You should do it more. :)
~Jessica
Whoa. Is it just me or does that shot of Ethan look like a face that I would have made about 18 years ago?
Post a Comment