Friday, February 15, 2008

I HEART Valentines Day!

(no pun intended). It just runs in the family...

My parents always made Feb. 14th really special. Mom did so many different fun things I could never include them all, but some of my favorites included: heart pancakes for breakfast and a heart sandwich in my lunch, we always had a red dinner with a Valentine note and gift at each of our places, sometimes hidden underneath the plates. I remember being a teenager when my dad started giving me flowers on Valentines Day--it made me feel like a million bucks. I've gotten flowers from my brother a few times since I moved away from home, and I know his future wife will appreciate my dad's great example :o) My mom says Valentines Day saved her sanity--it was something to look forward to in the middle of the winter! But all we knew was that Mom and Dad loved us...

I've tried to keep up the tradition of making Valentines Day special in our house. Our first one as a married couple came as a shock to poor Jeremy--he came home from school, and I was waiting with a decked-out table--music, candles, Chicken Parmesan, card, gift--the works. He had no idea what all the fuss was about; boy, was he busted! Note to self: discuss these things before the day arrives, not after. It makes for a much more pleasant day for everyone... Needless to say, Valentines Day has been much happier in our house ever since. Ah, the things we learn our first year of marriage :o)

This year was fun--and very busy. I was in charge of Bennett's class party; let's just say it was comprised of lots of chaos, candy, and cameras... I think the kids had a good time.
We played "Hot Valentine" (instead of Hot Potato) to the music of Harry Connick Jr. made adorable Valentines for our parents
and took turns guessing how many Hershey's Kisses and Hugs were in the heart bowl. Then I came home and made a fantastic dinner (if I do say so myself :o), which we didn't eat until 7:30 when Jer came home. But it was fun just to have time together, and the boys loved the candlelit table--probably a little too much...

Anyway, I had an interesting conversation with my friend this morning. We were talking about Valentines Day--catching each other up on what made it special this year... In the course of our discussion, we realized that both of us had talked to people yesterday who basically said "bah humbug" to Valentines Day. Their basis for argument was, "It's just Hallmark trying to get us to buy cards" or "Valentines Day is every day if you're doing it right" or "You shouldn't have to prove anything if you really love each other", etc. etc. etc. I also watched the Today Show at the gym yesterday, and so many of the segments were about what to do if you don't have anyone to celebrate Valentines Day with, or if you don't want to celebrate Valentines Day, or blah blah blah.

What a bunch of LAME excuses!!! If you love anyone in the whole wide world, then you have a reason to celebrate! It doesn't HAVE to be romantic, it doesn't HAVE to be expensive, it doesn't even HAVE to be a big part of your day! Just take the hint, and use the excuse to call, email, or visit someone that you love. I know it can be a painful day for some people, but what better way to feel better than to get outside of yourself and think about making someone else feel good?!?!? I just don't get it...

So here is basically my response to people who don't want to celebrate the Day of Love: why not? If you can honestly say that you show everyone in your life exactly how much you love them every single day of the year, then go ahead, sit back and let the day go by. But if not, stop being a cynic, soften up and show your heart a little. You'll be glad you did...

Well, I haven't been on my soapbox in a while--you were missing it, weren't you? Well, now you've gotten a hefty dose, so that should last you for a while :o) Maybe I won't post for another month... Love you and hope you had a wonderful day!!! Hopefully you got something in the mail from me this week :o)

16 comments:

Safire said...

You live! :) Happy Valentine's Day to you!

Anne Woods said...

Amen! That was a good soap box moment... though it hadn't been that long since you were on it (at least for me):)! Haha. It's a wonderful reminder for us all. Thank you. Thanks also for the girl package- we all loved it. Loved mostly just to be thought of by someone so special... we love you! xoxo

Bruce said...

We got ours in the mail on Valentines Day. Perfect timing Girlfriend! :) Thank you, that was a fun surprise. My girls loved holding the picture.

I am with you. It is a great day to celebrate ANYONE and EVERYONE you love! :)

Lollidale Farm said...

Happy Valentines Day again! I loved hearing about all of your family's V-day traditions (the year of the red light bulbs was my favorite!!) and it made me think about stepping it up and making the day a little more special. My kids are still on my case for getting Dale root beer and not them...Next year, I'll know better.
Don't wait another month to post! :)

jamie t. said...

What fun traditions. We always made homemade Valentine's boxes at family night the week before V-day and then the week leading up we would fill each others boxes with notes of love. Also thank you for the note in the mail. It is so nice to have some mail for you thats not a bill!!!

UtahTeacher said...

I think you know I'm surely less of a Valentine's man than you are, but that probably applies to all holidays. The little food stuff and little decorations are more fun than big fancy stuff. That said, Shauna and I went to Opera for Lovers last night (post-Valentine's date) at the Scera. It was really good and really funny/cheesy at the same time. I'll email you a picture or two.

Anonymous said...

oh no...post more than once a month. i miss you!

Jen said...

I love it! I think it is great that you have always made Valentines day so fun!

Carlie said...

Karen, it's so good to hear from you! How cool to see your blog and your kids after so many years! We miss those days down at BYU. Are you in Ohio? We moved to San Fransisco area after school then came back to Utah and we live in Orem (Both are families live here now). I hope you're not following our running blog too closely, it's a little embarassing how our of shape I am! Have you heard from the conrads? We kept in touch a little with the Edwards. Do you remember them? Kristen and Cory. They are in CA around where we were living.
Anyways, it's so good to hear from you!

Poulsen Family said...

Thanks for the Valentine's Day card, it was great to hear from you guys, and I think it was such a fun idea! Love you guys!

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Oh Karen, I've missed you! It's so fun to see your blog. Your boys are so big! I've just joined this world of blogging and it's been amazing how many people I'm finding just because of the links on each other's pages. You look beautiful and so happy! I hope we can keep in touch better!

crazyspudfamily.blogspot.com

Anie said...

WOW- this explains aLOT!!! After reading this I now have a much better understanding of your obsession with Valentine's Day. Funny, but hearing you share you family traditions makes me want to make a bigger deal out of not just Valentine's Day, but all sorts of holidays. How FUN to have something like that to look forward to! I've decided to steal some of your fun family tradtions and do them next year. I just need to write them down so that I don't forget....or just remind me next year that I want to do something special. OH, and I want to join you next year with classroom parties- I MISS IT!!!

Sharlynn said...

I LOVE YOU! Sorry I am a little late but better late than never. I loved your post on VD. It really opened my eyes and I loved the way your parents made you feel special on that day. I need to be better. I amjust a lazy person. I did enjoy your VD postcard too. That was great. Thanks for remembering us.

becca said...

Thanks for the Valentine's Day card! We also got ours on Valentine's Day, and it made our day!

mindy said...

Thanks for the very cute & fun card! I really enjoyed it! We actually had a pretty mellow V-day this year. The week before I'd gone all out for a Chinese New Year party (it is the year of the RAT, after all), so I think my creative juices were sapped. Next year I think I'll do more, though. It is a fun holiday, and winter needs all the holidays it can handle!

Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

GoPro Adictos said...

HEY WHAT`S UP ELDER RICH I`M ANDRES OSPINA I FROM MEDELLIN COLOMBIA DO YOU REMEMBER?
WE ARE DE OSPINA`S FAMILY, MY MOTHER REMEMBER YOU A LOT.
DO YOU WANNA WRITE US?
ospandres@gmail.com
HOW IS YOUR SPANISH?
GOOOD LUCK DUDE!!!
TAKE CARE.