Monday, April 21, 2008

Making lemonade...

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers.
But above all, the world needs dreamers who DO."
~Sarah Ban Breathnach
See the girl in the yellow hat and green shirt? Yeah, that's me :o)

Well, I have been excited to share something with you for a while now, but I didn't want to say anything until it was a done deal (no, I'm not pregnant--just getting that out of the way). I've been training for a half marathon in Columbus with my dad and my sister for the last few months! The decision to do it came as a result of lots of life experiences coming to a head--and I decided that 2008 is my year. 2006 and 2007 were rough ones for me, and I've had enough! My word of the year is DO--I've allowed excuses to rule my life for too long, so 2008 is when I'm doing some of the things I've always wanted to, no matter what the challenges may be! And running has always been one of them... But after surgery on my legs in November 2006, I now have no excuse to get moving!

The race was two Saturdays ago--April 12th. I drove up to Columbus with the boys Thursday night before the race (Jer couldn't get off work). About halfway through the drive, I got a call from Jeremy's sister saying that their grandma had passed away. Over the next few hours, we went back and forth trying to figure out plans to get out to Utah for her funeral--by which time I was already almost to Ohio. There was no way I could run a 1/2 marathon and fly cross-country alone with the boys all in the same day, and it was obvious which activity took precedence. Nevertheless, it was really hard to come to that decision...

"One of the secrets of life is to make stepping stones out of stumbling blocks." ~Jack Penn


You see, I had been planning on running this thing NO MATTER WHAT GOT IN MY WAY!!! I had gotten behind with my long weekend runs because Jer is gone so many weekends, and I didn't have anyone to watch my boys. I got really sick in March and didn't run for like 2 weeks straight, which is bad if you are only training for 12 weeks to begin with. With all these things against me, I almost decided not to do the race at all, but then I remembered that 2008 is my year to DO, and so I kept going and signed up for the race. And then this--I had been so dedicated and so determined, only to have this wrench thrown in my plans. I know that sounds harsh, I'm just being honest in my thought process...

"Establishing goals is all right if you don't let them deprive you of interesting detours." ~Doug Larson

I have a dear friend who ran a marathon a couple years ago. I called her in tears as I'm driving through the flatlands of rural Ohio, sobbing my head off as I told her my predicament. She knew how much this meant to me, what I was trying to prove to myself throughout the whole process, and exactly where I was mentally when I got to this point. We both knew what the right choice was, and she just helped me think through it. The hardest part was over--I had already made the decision to run. And now that I had made that decision, I can do anything I want, whenever I want. It doesn't have to be April 12th, it can be any day of the year--because I know I can do it.

"The distance is nothing; it is only the first step that is difficult." ~Marie de Vichy-Chamrond

I know I did the right thing--things worked out great. I was able to switch from the 1/2 marathon to the 5K, so it was actually kind of easy, dare I say FUN and I enjoyed every minute! I ran my first 5K last September (you may recall that post) and it was definitely NOT a piece of cake. I beat that time on Saturday by over 10 minutes! It was fun to see how far I've come in 7 months and be proud of myself for once... Look at the smile on my face! My cute dad made the 3 of us matching yellow hats with our nicknames embroidered across the front, so we could see each other in the race if we got separated. It came in so handy, because as soon as I was done with the 5K, my brother-in-law, nieces and I went over to the 7-Mile-mark of the 1/2 marathon course. I walked until I saw 2 yellow hats bobbing up and down amid the crowd, and I waved and screamed and jumped up and down and ran out to find them. It was pure joy for me to run for a short distance with them--I told them about my race and they caught me up on how they were feeling, etc. They looked so happy and I could not have been more proud of them--they were literally beaming!!! What a fun memory for all of us...

"Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another." ~John Dewey

Now, I still have a long way to go. I have lots of goals still to meet, and I still plan on doing a 1/2 marathon in 2008. It just might not be till October--but who knows, maybe by then I'll be ready for the full thing???

So anyway, the point of this whole, long, drawn-out story which has probably put you to sleep is this: I am learning to be flexible. I am learning that things don't have to go exactly how I plan in order to be considered successful. I am the master of my own destiny--I decide how I let outside factors influence my life. I know what's most important and those things will always come first, but that doesn't mean I become a martyr or give up on my dreams. This is MY life, for heaven's sake!

Do you have anything YOU want to do in 2008??? I'd love to hear...

Real quick, I have to give a little shout-out for my friend, Katie. You have to check out her blog, SisterSkinny, to see what she's been up to this year... She is the epitome of DO-ing. Go, KATIE!!!! You are an awesome inspiration :o) I'm so proud of you!

20 comments:

daveghax said...

pretty inspiring, face of ching. and all those appropriate quotes!! a very effective device that tied together what ultimately amounted to a darn near perfect post. you should threaten to quit blogging more often. it brings out the magic.

well done ching. way to make the world go round.

Rochelle said...

Karen---you are awesome! Seriously, you have an amazing gift to have such a great outlook on life! Congrats on the personal milestone and bettering your time by 10 minutes...I hope you got a chance sneak in a celebration...wow.

Kathy said...

I am so proud of you!!!!! You are definitely my inspiration to get going this year. :)

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO KAREN!!

The Spendloves said...

Seriously, I'm so proud of you girl! This post was exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thanks! Oh, and don't you dare close your blog. I forgot to comment on your last post. This keeps me updated between our phone conversations every 6 months or so :)

Angie said...

Yeah Karen! I'm so proud of you. I have been lurking since Beebs told me about it. I agree with the not closing the blog thing too. I, thanks to you, have enjoyed Sister Skinny, especially seeing her achieve her goals. But now she's done! (and I'm not). My goal this year is to get back to 1/2 marathon shape whether I run it or not (nursing makes the logistics of race day tricky). What a fun picture with your dad and brother! Yeah! And thanks for not going private so I can lurk :)

Safire said...

Amazing! You are such an inspiration. What a great race for you I'm sure.

As for what I want to do...done it. :) Check out my blog.

Heather K said...

Karen,
I can't tell you enough how much your blogs mean to me. I am ALWAYS inspired by what you have to say. And super congrats to you and your race! What a huge accomplishment and sacrifice! You are one amazing girl! I miss you!
-Heather K.

katieo said...

I'm in tears!!
Seriously, what an inspirational post Karen.

(and thanks for the shout out. :)

Poulsen Family said...

K, I'm crying, what an inspirational post. I'm so glad you were able to do this for yourself. It's a struggle to find time for my own goals when my time is divided by the other four family members first. I love that you decided to take time for yourself and are "do"ing the things that help you be a better you!

Kari said...

Congrats! That's so great! There might be time to sign up for the 1/2 in Charlottesville next month--Jeff did it last year and really enjoyed it. Good Luck!

Lis said...

Thats so cool! YOU ROCK! Ive been thinking about doing something like this to get my self motivated!!! Good JOB! Way to be an example!

Dasilva said...

What a great story--I loved the inserted quotes. It's time for me to start thinking . . . Thanks!

Lollidale Farm said...

Karen,
You always have the most inspiring, thoughtful posts! I love your thoughts and your perspective! Congrats on making such an improvement. I can't wait to see how you do later this year. My goal this year is to improve a skill (for me, it's photography) and I've had so much fun putting myself "back to school." It's a great feeling to s-t-r-e-t-c-h!!!

Bruce said...

That is so GREAT! I am so proud of you. You have gone a long way. I remember the 5k we ran together. I can't imagine doing a half marathon right now. I can go about 2 miles.

My goal is to run a marathon someday. You have once again inspired me to reach my goal! Thank you! :)

Anie said...

WAY TO GO KAREN!!! You are SO AWESOME!!! An inspiration to us all! Thanks for making ME want to be better! :)

I am Laura said...

Haven't looked at your blog for a while. I am so sorry to be late on this congratulations. That is awesome. I had the same type goal this year. My goal was to run a 5 K and I completed it last Saturday. It sure was fun. I now plan on doing a 10K this year, but I am not sure I will attempt the 1/2 marathon. When do you think you will do yours and where? It would be fun to run together. Good work. Your awesome.

Katherine said...

You go girl!!!!

Sharlynn said...

Once again you inspire me. I haven't read your blog in a while but decided to today. You are amazing. I love reading what you have to say because you put things so well. I wish I could speak like you. That doesn't make sense, but you truly are amazing. Way to go and good luck with upcoming Marathon. I am sorry to hear about Jeremy's grandma.

Anne Woods said...

you will do it- all to soon. so keep plugg'n away. what a memory!! well said- and even better performed! xoxo