Friday, May 02, 2008

The Circle of Life: Part I

So, like I mentioned in my last post--we went to Utah for Jeremy's grandma's funeral in April. While a funeral is always a sad thing to bring people together, it was SUCH a wonderful weekend! Grandma & Grandpa Nielsen had 8 children, and all of them, plus all the grandchildren and their spouses (except one who was having a baby the same day as the funeral), plus all the great-grandchildren were there. What a legacy!

Because it was Jeremy's family function, I got to sit back and observe a lot. As I watched all the children and grandchildren interact, I was just struck by how much love exists between them. Aunts and uncles showed genuine interest as they listened to all the details in the busy lives of their nieces and nephews; cousins ran around playing together even though they only see each other once a year (if that!); brothers and sisters helped each other keep track of their young children--I just loved being able to sit and witness all of that.

I couldn't help but feel Grandma & Grandpa smiling down on their posterity that day, shaking their heads at each other and saying: "This is what it's all about. This is what we worked so hard and sacrificed and cried and gave our all for. To watch our children and their children and their children love each other, build up and support one another in times of trial, and be happy for each other in their successes. It doesn't get any better than this!!!"
We will all miss Grandma & Grandpa, but they did so much with the lives they were given--and we are all beneficiaries of their good examples! It was truly a time to celebrate... Here are some of the perfect moments I captured from they day:






I'm so grateful to be part of this wonderful family!!!

8 comments:

Lollidale Farm said...

I felt the same way at my grandma's funeral almost exactly a year ago. What a blessing to have the family all together, even if it is under less-than-happy circumstances. For me, her funeral was an incredibly spiritual, uplifting experience. I think that has so much to do with the legacy that my Grandma (and Grandpa) left behind them. What great picture memories you caught!!

mindy said...

thank you for that much needed dose of perspective.

Patrick said...

I got to attend BYU performances with the family and Grandpa and Grandma Nielson (Nielsen?) a few times. I feel happy at a funeral of someone who lived a good life and left a legacy like that. Gospel perspective is a blessing. Death is just life and life is good.

I can't remember the name of Jason and September's daughter. I'll have to call you guys soon.

Lollidale Farm said...

PS--I just noticed the title of one of the books on your nightstand....How to survive a kitchen remodel! Love it!

Mormhand said...

I love you, karezy. your heart. And you have married into a good good family. Love Dad

Lis said...

Im sorry Karen! But how fun to be able to see everyone!!!

Ashlee said...

Thanks for the sweet post, Karesy. I'm so glad that I can call you family. Love you - see you soon!

Pat, Jas and Sep's little girl is Autumn...Do you remember the time you came to Powell when Zac was a little baby? Wow, how time flies.

Patrick said...

Aaaah, now I remember. Thanks Ash. Powell was so fun. I actually heard Zac say some of his first words--Jason and I got him to say "Hi Grandpa." And if it wasn't for that trip and getting up on water skis for the first time, I would have been even more embarrassed a few years later when I got to (had to) learn water skiing again with my life-long water-loving in-laws.

I'm feeling like Jeremy and I don't get to express our brotherly affection enough, so I am going to start referring to him as Jarezy. Love ya' Jarezy! Talk to you soon!