Jeremy finished intern year this past week. It's hard to explain what that means to me. Let me see if I can try... We've been in school ever since we got married 8 years ago, and Jer's always been on the med school track so we knew from the beginning that this is what we were headed toward. Intern year (the first year of residency) has forever been this dark cloud looming overhead, always in our future, and always always worse than what we were currently going through. I had heard horror stories from friends who had been there and done that--weeks that lasted for 21 days because there was no weekend break anywhere in that time, nights and days and nights that were all strung together without any sleep in between, husbands falling asleep at the wheel on their way home from being on call and waking up just before they hit the car in front of them, kids finally giving up on setting the table to include dad because he hadn't been home for dinner in months... yes, these are all true stories. Hence, the understanding when I say I was not looking forward to this year.
And, sad to say, it has been pretty much everything I dreaded, and more that I didn't ever even anticipate. It has honestly been the hardest year of my life. I'm sorry if you were hoping this would be a happy, peppy post--not tonight, folks... But there is a moral to this story. While it has been awful and frustrating and sleep-depriving and demoralizing and painful--we have made it through. We did it! Intern year does not hang over us anymore; it's done! We have learned important life lessons, we have seen sides of each other we hadn't seen before (and probably don't want to see again) but have also realized what good things we are capable of, and amazingly enough we have grown closer and deeper as a couple and as a family, even though we haven't seen nearly as much of each other as we had before...
So what's the point in telling you this? I was reading a story today about men who decided to do something hard, even though they knew what they were headed into--and it ended up being just as difficult as they thought, if not worse. But they knew that what they were doing was right, and it made the struggle more bearable. In the end, they accomplished what they had set out to do, they blessed others immeasurably along the way, and they came out of the experience better, stronger men than they could have ever seen in themselves.
Our struggle is still not over--I don't know that it will ever be. My grandfather lays in a hospital bed tonight, probably close to the end of a 12-year battle with renal cancer that has now spread to his entire body. He is in incredible amounts of pain, and his sweet wife of almost 60 years has to watch him deal with it. It almost seems too much to bear. They have lived such good lives--raised 5 wonderful children, loved, blessed and remembered 24 grandchildren and who-knows-how-many great-grandchildren. He has taught and served others throughout his entire life--in poor schools in Los Angeles and on the streets of New York City, he has shown love for and befriended so, so many. I think to myself--doesn't he deserve a break? For it all to come to this? Why must he suffer when he has been so good?
I guess that's not the point. To struggle is to stretch. To stretch is to learn. To learn is to grow and become better, if we will choose it. And then we endure... Endure whatever trials come our way--because we know what we're doing is right and that makes the struggle more bearable. It doesn't take away the situation, but it makes us better people by dealing positively with it. And I guess that's the point...
If that's the case, Grandpa Norm is just about the best there is. I love you, Gramps.
And I still have a long way to go, but I know I can do it... because we got through intern year :o)
***UPDATE (7/8/08): My grandpa is doing better. He gets to come home from the hospital today. Thanks for your thoughts, everyone :o)
18 comments:
Congrats to the both of you, it's wonderful you made it through such a tough year! I'm sorry about your grandpa, your family will be in our prayers.
Oh how I feel for you. Our med school years were hard enough with Ryan trying to get to the top of his class. And now that he's started residency he keeps calling and saying, "well, it might be worse than I thought..."
At least I know that someone else understands! I can't believe I haven't heard you complain about it more! That's something to be proud of.
Wow. Thats awesome its over for you guys! Way to go! I hope this year is better for you all and I hope everything goes okay with your Grandpa! Im sorry!
Goodness Karen, you are always so inspirational. I really do admire you. I always wish that I could think like you and be more willing to endure. I am such a wimp when it comes to things like that. In some ways, I feel bad for Andrew because he doesn't have a wife who struggles in supporting him in things like school. Andrew is so full of endurance and I hold him back in many ways. Anyway, continue to post your thoughts because it gets others thinking and you have such great stuff to say.
Oh I forgot one important thing....CONGRATS!
What a GREAT post!!! You are truly AMZING Karen!! I know I've told you this before, but you seriously inspire me with the desire to be better. Thank you for posting and for just being YOU!!! And WAY TO GO Jeremy for making it through intern year!!! We miss you guys!!
This is a great post. You have a great perspective on life. Congratulations on another year down.
Thanks for the post Karez. This made me think seriously about getting something positive out of the current trial we are going through, instead of just suffering through it. You're awesome.
I catch your post pretty frequently..you're on Becca's friends list...Congratulations on your amazing achievement. We'll keep your grandparents in our prayers. The Farrells love your family.
karesy, you've always been able to say it...........you've done it again. bless you for this year, for all you've been thru.........with more to go! i love you. mom
thank you for sharing your thoughts, Karen. It seems that no matter what path we choose, there will be struggles along the way. It's hard to accept them as a part of life, and not just as something that gets in the way of living the lives we want. I'm glad that your grandpa was able to come home from the hospital.
Karen, I always love your thoughts. You are so inspirational to me! Congratulations for getting through this year!
Karen,
I sent Gege an email to see if I could help out with anything while she's visiting Norm. If you think of anything that I can help with let me know. I'm not only 40 min away.
I love reading your blog. I can totally hear your voice as I read the words. You have such a neat way of putting things and I'm glad you were able to get them down "on paper".
I'm so glad your grandpa is doing better. (((hugs))) to everyone!
Glad to hear your grandpa is doing better, it is hard to see your loved ones suffer. It has got to feel great to have this year over. What a great way to celebrate, going to Lake Powell. I am convinced it is one of the best places on earth! Looks like you had a blast!
You caught me on my blog... I think I am such a fan of Batman due to Christian Bale. Though the new Batman was dark he did look fantastic! :)
"...even though they knew what they were headed into--and it ended up being just as difficult as they thought, if not worse. But they knew that what they were doing was right, and it made the struggle more bearable."
YES. I can't imagine not having that reassurance. It's helped us stay sane.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys as you continue on your career path and as your grandpa continues to battle cancer.
Congrats to you and Jeremy for making it through the intern year. It says a lot to you as a family for staying strong and staying the course!
I love this post! Well written! I'm so glad for you guys as well that you finished your intern year!
Post a Comment