As long as we're talking about birthdays...

Bennett turned 7 in August!!!
(another photo courtesy of Andrea Marie Photography, isn't she amazing???)
I am seriously not old enough to have a 7-year old. My mother-in-law was here at the time, and when she told Bennett he was getting so old, he said (and I quote): "My mom said I'm not allowed to grow up!" You got it right, kid... Don't you dare make me feel any older :o)
Bennett brings us pure joy. He is the most animated, interesting, rambunctious and yet tender-hearted kid we know! There is never a dull moment with Bennett around. The other day he came bounding in the door from school, threw open the door and screamed, "Mom, we have to call Grandma right now!" I start panicking, "Sweetheart, what's wrong? What happened?" He said, "In my library book, I read that the paleontologists found dinosaur bones in Utah! We have to call Grandma so she can start digging in the backyard right now!" My heart rate is going down now... So we grab the phone and call Grandma, she gets a big kick out of him and then he asks for a Gogurt and wants to go play outside... :o) We love him!
Benn's very into reading right now. He got 13 books for his birthday this year--and he's already read 5 of them by now--chapter books! I have to say, "Bennett, stop reading and _______(fill in the blank: your choice of "make your bed" "get your clothes/pajamas on" "play with your toys" etc.) It's really rough around here... My favorite thing to do is say goodnight to my boys and just peek through the door as I'm closing it, watching them in bed with their little lamps on, soaking in every page. Especially when I hear Bennett reading out loud to Ethan from the top bunk... Precious, precious moments :o)
Bennett is loving soccer this season. It's the perfect sport for him--tons and tons and tons and tons... and tons of running :o) By the time he gets home from a game, he's ready for a nap? What more could a mother ask for??? He made the first goal of his game on Saturday, that was fun to watch... He's running down the field afterward going, "Yes! Yes! Yes!" Isn't it great that little kids can show how proud they are of themselves?
Bennett lucked out this year--his grandma, uncle and aunt and 2 cousins were all here to celebrate his birthday with him! Jason, Sep, Zac and Autumn came from Missouri for a week, and Ruth came to help out while I went to Girls Camp the week before, and of course she couldn't leave before the big day!!! So we had a blast--we spread the celebration out over the entire weekend. Buca di Beppo on Friday night, pizza at the water park on Saturday, and of course presents and ice cream sundaes on the actual day, Sunday. Lots of fun was had by all, as you can tell...
One funny thing I have to share--I've been so excited for Bennett's 7th birthday because then I could start teaching him piano! He's been showing a lot of interest in it for a while now, but I wanted to wait until he was at least 7. So I went and bought him the whole slew of books, along with stickers and pencils--all kinds of fun incentives for good pianists :o) I wrapped them all up and gave them to him on his birthday. When he opened them up, this is the face I got:
Bennett was so not excited about his gift. He said, "This is what you gave me for my birthday? I didn't want piano lessons for my birthday!" I really don't think he was trying to be rude or ungrateful, I guess that's just not a 7-year old's dream birthday present!!! Who would have thought? Needless to say, I had to hold back the tears until I ran into the kitchen to "get the candles going..." I'm happy to report, though, that our first couple weeks of lessons have gone very well, and I think we might have a little budding musician on our hands :o)
4 comments:
The piano lesson story cracks me up. I can't wait to hear him play! Happy late birthday, Bennett!
Happy Birthday (last month) Bennett!! I loved reading all these stories- even though I'd heard a couple of them before, I couldn't help but laugh again! So full of life and energy- we love you Bennett!!!! Great job on scoring a goal at your soccer game! That's AWESOME!
professor pickle, you are the great one. keep sharing your true feelings. filters are for pools and cigarettes, not for families! ;)
LOL! I love that you needed a moment and went to "get the candles going."
Post a Comment