For the last year and a half, they've been working on building a new elementary school in our neighborhood. It's been in the plans (and a serious need) for about 10 years, so it's high time the county delivered. And they did!!! Our new school is "beeeeautiful", as Ethan said. It's high-tech (Promethean boards and all), green (there are plants on the roof to help with drainage, etc), and it's less than 50 years old (unlike Bennett's school for the last 2 years, which we still loved BTW). The whole community has been excited for the new school to open--perhaps a little too excited, as the chaos that ensued yesterday was something akin to either a mosh pit or crazed girls at a Beatles concert... But it was still fun (sort of, not really).
Ethan has been excited to start kindergarten for, oh, about 2 years now! Ever since Bennett started going to school, Ethan has been so patient waiting his turn... And it finally came :o) He woke up super early (which he never does), he unloaded the dishwasher in record time (which he never does), he ate all his breakfast in under 30 minutes (which he never does), he got his clothes on/teeth brushed/shoes on without any nagging from Mom (an absolute miracle), and was ready to walk out the door 20 minutes before we needed to leave. I had to ask Ethan to sit down and read a book while I finished getting ready--which is usually his excuse for not getting the things done that I ask in the first place. Who can refuse a reading child, right??? Anyway, it was truly a miraculous morning--one that I can only dream of repeating... But I'm documenting it now so that I will remember on the not-so-fast days :o)
I love this picture--the little boy next to Ethan is also named Ethan, so every time I said, "Ethan" the other little boy would look at me too. He must have thought I was crazy :o)
Because the new school is smack in the middle of our large community, most of the kids are walkers. Of the 550-some-odd enrolled students, 400 are walkers--of which my children are 2. It's been really fun to do this! It gives us time to talk and just stroll together... While we're walking, I always think the phrase, "When I was your age, I used to have to walk to school uphill both ways!" OK, we're not going uphill, but I think it's great that my kids walk (I mean RUN) to school. There's something very old school about it that I love...
So once we got to school, it was insane. It's too painful to recount the details--suffice it to say that I have never been so glad to get out of a building and get some fresh air in all my life. There were way too many people with way too much BO in waaaay too small a space. But Ethan didn't seem to mind a bit and was just excited to be there... He was all smiles, waving to me as he went down the hall with his teacher.
But as soon as Ethan turned the corner, I absolutely lost it. Absolutely, totally, completely, utterly, embarrassingly, moronically (is that even a word?) LOST IT!!! I have no idea where the emotions came from or how they surfaced, but they did--and in a horrible way. I've been dreading this day for a long time, but by Sunday I was finally feeling more at peace with the fact that my youngest child was going to Kindergarten... and that I would be all alone in my house... and that I wasn't planning on being all alone yet... and where did the time go... and have I taught my boys everything they need to know to face this challenging world... and what am I going to do with myself all day... dot dot dot. Yeah, so it all kind of surfaced on Monday after Ethan turned the corner. Luckily I waited TILL he turned the corner, but it was still extremely humiliating. I ran for the nearest corner to hide my face in, but my friend found me and made me talk it all through. So I started all over again... bad idea. Good friend--bad idea. (There are no pictures of me during this time--that's definitely on purpose :o)
So, yes, it was the most wonderful feeling to get out of that building, breathe in the fresh, crisp air (we've had gorgeous cool weather so far this week), and walk home by myself... I stayed busy all day with errands and friends. When I came back to find this cute kid waiting for me in his cute classroom with his cute teacher, he ran full-speed for me, jumped up in my arms, and when I asked him about his first day of Kindergarten, this is what I got:
17 comments:
Aww IM sorry Karen! Im sure your moment will look like NUTHIN by the time Lexi starts school! I cry when I THINK about taking her ti Disneyland! I cry over every stupid first with her. I cant help it. He sure is a cutie tho! Both boys! Im sure theyre well prepared! Youre a great mom! =)
Such a sweet post, Karen. Be prepared to feel this way over and over, at every graduation, the MTC, and at their weddings. That's the kind of love that makes you a great mom and Bennet and Ethan such lucky little boys. Love you.
Gosh, that is really weird that you are all alone when your kids go to school! I used to not understand when parents were sad when their kids went to school - I thought they would totally want the break, but now I'm 100% sure I'll be right there with you.
Sounds like a really neat school!
Ethan has THE cutest smile. I love it. I'm so glad that he is enjoying school so far. It makes it easier to send them (even if you don't want to) when you know they are enjoying themselves.
I can't imagine such a passionate person like you NOT having an emotional reaction to your youngest's first day of school! Congratulations on making it through.
Ohhhh I'm so glad the first day went well anyway... for the boys! You poor thing - I hope you are at least staying busy so that alone time is not so lonely. Just think of it as "ME" time! Sometimes I can't wait for that day! But then sometimes, not.
He looks so happy and tiny in that huge backpack. :) I'm glad he had a very fun day and that you did okay with it.
Oh, Karen, that must have been very difficult. Wish I could have been there to give hugs. I still cried when I sent Bryant to first grade this year, I think I'll probably do it every year...I wonder if I'll be over it by the time he's a teenager;)
What an opportunity, to get to go to a brand new school! Ethan looks so happy....and I'm sure you'll adjust (every day can't be that hard to say goodbye, right?). I hope he has a great year (Bennett, too!).
Way to go, Eenie! Way to go, Kare!
Love it! Thanks for all the details...you know how much I love that. :) I love your boys and just can't believe how they are getting so grown up!!!! I just wish we could go to that pumpkin patch this fall together again...love you!
What sweet boys. I loved your recap. It was like you were telling me yourself. I could see your face and hear your voice as I read it. It took me back to the good old days when you would let me and my kids come over to your house so I could just get out! We miss you guys and hope all is well. I am so glad that Ethan is liking school!
wow- good thing we have the blog. I didn't get anywhere close to that kind of detail when I called. :) Hope it's getting easier and they've worked out some of the kinks of a new school. Thanks for the pictures. They look great on the first day!!
Now I will looking forward to baptism photos! Hope it was special. :)
Karen...they are so, so sweet and handsome. Car and Addy start school in two days and it makes me sad every year. I loved reading this because you capture that intensity we all feel sometimes as our children grow a little older each day. Sure love you Karen!
Karen- Have I told you lately that you are amazing? I miss you!! This was a sweet post and I can just picture the moment...and I did it too when Sierra got on the bus. No one ever said how hard parenting was sometimes - for happy and sad reasons. But, we just keep moving on, don't we? Love you and those cute boys - I'm hoping to see ya sometime soon in Hannibal! :)
Dear Karezy, what can we add? You shared this with us in real time, but now that you've also written it down, it's sacred for other reasons. You're so much a PMOB - it's not that they're lucky to have you, because they all out deserve you - but that just shows how special you are. Ethan, his moment, his ways - you captured them with love and expression. It's a moment you were born for, and it turned out just as it should have. Which says everything, about what came before and what lies ahead. So much love, so much goodness. Which makes me Happy Daddy (Grampy)
Karen!!! It's SO good to see you posting again! I have sure missed you! You guys look like life is going great! I would love to catch up sometime and hear of all the things you have been up to. You are such a great friend!
Post a Comment