
OK, I am going to go out on a bit of a limb here. I very rarely rant on my blog (well, I very rarely post on my blog, so...) Anyway, hate me if you will, but I have seriously had it, so indulge me...
I despise Halloween! It is the most awful holiday--if you can even call it that. Why do we choose to glorify the dark and evil and SCARY??? Blood, guts, vampires, ghouls, devils, and witches hold absolutely no appeal for me. Haunted houses? No way! And why do we allow our children to gorge themselves on stuff that is so completely rotten, when at all other times of the year we try to teach them about the importance of health and nutrition? We spend the whole year forcing them to eat the vegetables on their plates, to find balance in their lunch boxes, and then on Halloween (and the weeks--or months!--following until their candy runs out) let them stuff themselves silly on the crap? Don't even get me started on trunk-or-treating... do we seriously need TWO nights of candy??? I mean, really--come on, people!





And that's just the kids! I always hate that feeling that comes when I hear the boys start talking about what they want to be for Halloween--I know it's going to be H-E-double-hockey-sticks trying to pull everything together for their costumes, because I have years of previous experience with this! I always get in way over my head doing the parties for their classes (solely in an effort to be involved), I always end up stressing out big time, and I always end up needing therapy by the time they're over. I always try to wait till the last minute to buy candy for trick-or-treaters, but that KitKat/Snickers/100Grand combo bag always gets the better of me and I end up feeling sick even before anyone shows up at my doorstep! And don't you just hate the stress of Halloween dinner? I always want it to be fun and festive (click here to see what I mean), but between parties and costumes I just never get it together enough to NOT be stressed out and do less than I wanted to! And so I ask again, WHY DO I CHOOSE THIS???
This year was especially bad. The boys and I had H1N1 all last week, and my biggest concern while I was going back and forth between the toilet and the couch was, "How on earth am I going to get Bennett's B.O.B. costume done? And if I can't be at the class parties on Friday, who will take the cupcakes and juice boxes and set up all the game stations and call out Candy Corn Bingo???" It was super stressful!!! Luckily I have really great friends and visiting teachers... :o)
I consider myself a pretty fun mom, I don't think I'm too much of a party pooper, I like to have a great time just as much as the next sober person, but I just can't get excited about Halloween. I can't wait for it to be over so we can move on to Thanksgiving--the holiday where we think about all we've been given, instead of how much we we can get. We seriously had ADULTS come and trick-or-treat this year! FOR REAL!!! I swear, next year I am going to put up a sign that says, "Candy is for children ONLY!" Jeremy and I were totally blown away...
Anyway, I know I make it sound bleak and all--we actually DID have a lot of fun that night... My dad came up and walked around with Jer and the boys, while I stayed home and read my latest copy of Seeing the Everyday in between answering the doorbell. It kept things in perspective for me, and helped me to realize that Halloween isn't only about the awful things... It's about a family tradition--of craziness!
It's always fun to see what the boys want to be and then somehow make it happen for them--with Jeremy saving the day this year (isn't he amazing?).
It's fun to carve our pumpkins and see how people react to them when they come to our door.
Last year's Mac pumpkin was a huge hit--guess who made that one :o) Too bad the picture of that didn't turn out.
It's fun to make homemade oreos (thanks, Laura!) with orange frosting and stuff myself silly with them, because I know the next morning I will have to chuck them or else...

I guess my point is, I will keep "celebrating" Halloween. I will keep doing it because my kids love it and because I know it only lasts for one day. But you better believe I will gripe about it every year... because my mom did when I was little, and I completely agree with her. So now we do it together :o)
And honestly, can you resist these two precious princes???
15 comments:
OKay Im like Halloweens NUMBER ONE fan So I just have to say that its totally NOT evil! Its the day of the dead, not the devil. And I for one would never let my kids dress up as something evil, but I dont think theres anything wrong with dressing up one day a year! As for the candy, I see your point But a bucket of candy isnt going to ruin a years worth of efforts to give your kids good eating habits and im SURE you didnt just hand over the entire bucket of candy! Sorry. I LOVE Halloween! I think its so exciting, the start of the Holiday season and I LOVE dressing up! Im sorry you had H1N1, I could see how that could TOTALLY put a damper on things and YES your boys look awesome! That was so nice of Jeremy to step in and Help! HAHA!
Hope you guys are now feeling better!
i know, melissa--halloween is my sister's favorite too. can't believe we were cut from the same mold... and yes, you're right--the bucket of candy (minus their favorite 20 pieces) went straight to the trash can (or in a stash to use for christmas stockings!). aren't i a party pooper???
Ha ha! I'm so sorry Halloween was such a bust for you! And sick too on top of it all! This Halloween got the better of me too - both with the needless over-stressing and the CANDY! (Even though I didn't open a single bag until Halloween day! Ugh...)
Anyway. I know how you can like Halloween again! Spend all of October watching Jane Eyre (the 2006 Masterpiece Theatre one). That's what I did. Now that's the kind of spookiness I need in October!
wow... dramatic or what. it is not of the devil, it's what you make of it... just like everything else in life. Christmas can become all about the presents and spoiling if you let it! It's so fun to let your kids be whatever they want to be for a night... to escape the rules and be something else and get lots of free candy (that i eat most of anyway). :) JUST FOR A NIGHT!!!! When else can you knock on a door and get something for free? I think it brings out the best in our neighbors... brings you together, if you ask me. Plus, the colors are amazing!! The decorations, I LOVE IT!! We did come from the same mold, I just got all the Halloween love for the both of us. :) But you are certainly entitled to your opinion- just had to share mine. Loved Dash and BOB... you're sweet to indulge them anyway. Might want to pass the Halloween classroom duties elsewhere next year, sure there's a mom in the class who actually likes the holiday. :) That would probably make your Halloween a lot nicer as well! Love ya (& Halloween)!!!!
I'm so sorry but I had a huge smile on my face reading your post... I LOVE HALLOWEEN! It is stressful and crazy but that's almost what I love most about it. (This year Jackson's costume was done 15 minutes before his class party. 15 MINUTES! How's that for cutting it close?)
Do you know what you need? A rockin' Halloween party for adults! It totally makes you feel like a kid again and brings back all the fond Halloween memories that you had when you were a kid. So next year, you'll have to add that to your "Halloween to do list." Take my advice, embrace it and START IN JULY! Love you Karen!
Wow, I'm surprised there are so many Halloween lovers reading your blog! I'm on your side. I think it's just an unnecessary stress factor in my life and that it somehow will reflect on my mothering abilities if I don't get into it. Ok, but then the pictures of your kids make it worth it. I already gave my small rant on my blog this year - I'm totally with you.
I'm generally in favor of Halloween, just for the fun, silliness, and pure "kid" factor. Plus all the pumpkin patch memories, carving, etc. But, it was the aftermath of Halloween that got me this year...I allowed them three candies each that night (of course they ate cupcakes and probably sneaked a few I didn't know about) but, they all woke up fighting the next day. It was like constant yelling, hitting, and tattling. We have three o'clock church right now, and I seriously went out to the car after sacrament and cried. Then last night, after I got flat out refusals to get ready for bed I decided that each "no" I hear candy is thrown away...after about three candies they were all upstairs. Today was better, I think all the sugar is finally leaving their system...next year the Great pumpkin is coming to trade their candy for a small prize.
Oh, and just wanted to say WAY TO GO Jeremy!
We have a great dentist office that is accepting (even paying for) halloween candy this week. He will send it over to the troops. My kids were so excited to pick out their 20 pieces and bag the rest to take to him (and they don't know about the money part). I like having a way to limit the candy mostly because of what I do while they are at school. How many little mini candy bars can I eat in a day? NOT pretty.
I'm glad you at least enjoyed the homemade oreos. :) Your boys are super cute, and I am so glad that you are BETTER!
Oh dear Karen. I think you hit it right on the head in your second paragraph "why do WE choose"- Halloween is what you make of it. I'm not a huge Halloween fan but I'd never classify Halloween as dark, evil or scary because that's not what we choose to celebrate at our house, so hopefully my boys will never know that side of Halloween.
As far as everything else, here's my opinion.
Who said you have to give candy? Buy some cheap spider rings or stickers from Oriental trading and hand those out. Hand out fruit snacks or crackers.
Honestly, what's wrong with trunk or treating? Having a safe place where your kids can go trick or treating and be done before it gets terribly late or dark and then heading home together as a family to watch a Halloween movie while having a few treats from the bucket? I'd much rather have that than have my children want to head up and down every street in the cold dark night where they could not be seen by a car or freeze and get sick.
Plus, who says you have to GO to trunk or treating. Or why not go to one and not the other?
As for costumes? Trade with someone who has kids the same size as yours, only make portions of it, have them choose something from the dress up box or buy from a second hand store. Your kids are still young, they'll get excited even when you "direct" them to a costume that you already own or know you can get your hands on without the stress.
As far as the candy goes. Check with the local dentists as was mentioned. Trade their buckets for a new book or small toy or donate it to food banks or shelters.
Plus, celebrating Halloween doesn't have to be all on one night. If you want the fun Halloween dinner, do it a few nights before and then on Halloween night throw something in the crock pot.
simplify girl and I think you'll enjoy it a bit more.
I'm kinda split on the issue...I love the costumes and the dress-up fun...hate all the candy. Your kids are adorable. Carson was Mr. Incredible a few years ago :-) Sure miss you Karen!
Karen, Just wanted to say that I totally get what you're saying! I feel the same way! So sorry you were sick on top of everything else!! I decided this year that our costumes would not be bought or sewn...just borrowed or put together with imagination from stuff we have. And after choosing a few favorite candies, the rest I had the kids trade with me for healthy snacks or money. Those things made this year so much better for us!!
I just love that you have no problem "getting it out there." Who raised you anyway??!! love you, sweets.
so i had to scroll down and read this post that i missed since you mentioned it in your thanksgiving one....anyway, sorry you guys were sick. i have to say i love halloween, but i do agree that i kinda get tired of the church doing a trunk or treat....can't it just be a fun halloween party where the kids can dress up one more time and have a light dinner and just play games....no more candy please.
Post a Comment