We've struggled significantly the last few years in our efforts to have more children--as I said in my gratitude post back in November, I've had 3 miscarriages in 3 years, with months and months of negative pregnancy tests in between each one. This trial has taken me on a journey I never dreamed I would travel--one with many questions and few answers, one of broken dreams and bitter hearts, one filled with doubt and fear, insecurity and defiance. To say that I struggled with grace and with faith would be a lie... It has been the greatest challenge of my life so far! But I have learned and grown so much emotionally and spiritually that I would never wish this time away. Among those many things, I have learned where my weaknesses (and strengths!) are, where I should turn and where I should not turn in times of trial, and I have truly learned what a gift each and every day is--with all its roller coasters and beautiful vistas. I have learned to be more sensitive to others in their challenges, to be a more sympathetic listener and a less judgmental friend. This experience has opened my eyes wider than they were before, and for that I will be forever grateful!
When I wrote that post back at Thanksgiving, I had come to a new place in this "education-by-fire". Earlier in the fall, I had listened to a profound talk at church by a faithful young mother about turning to the Lord in times of trial. It affected me deeply and was just what I needed to hear at the time--it kicked me into high gear and I made some big changes. I stopped taking a pregnancy test every month, we finally put away the nursery furniture (which had been filling up an empty bedroom for 3 years!), and for the first time I felt truly at peace in my heart. I was finally happy with where I was... Isn't it sad that I wasn't before? Oh well, I am being honest, and it's all part of the process... right?
I had spent lots of 2009 undergoing invasive and frustrating infertility tests, and each time the doctors had no answers or explanations for me--so I quit going. In November, Jeremy encouraged me to go back and finish my work-up, mostly so that I could just mentally close that chapter of my life officially and MOVE ON! I made the appointment, went in a little begrudgingly and sat there while they again told me there was nothing visibly wrong with my body and they didn't know what to tell me. The RN looking through my paperwork noticed that one test had come back inconclusive, so she asked if I would go down to the lab and get my blood drawn just one more time. I thought, "What can it hurt?" and did what she said. That afternoon, the doctor called me and said that whatever they were testing for came back negative (duh!), but that it came back positive for HCG, and did I know what that meant? "You're pregnant," she said, "Congratulations!" As she talked, the whirlwind of thoughts began... Didn't she know just by looking at my charts that this meant nothing to me? That it always ended the same way and I thought I was DONE with this??? It was only a matter of time before...
And then a little voice said, "Karen, this is your test. Are you really going to make all these changes you've been talking about, or did you just want to because it sounded nice at the time? Are you going to approach this with fear and doubt again, or will you fight that fear with FAITH? Will you turn to the Lord instead of turning away? Here's your chance, girl... Show me where your heart is. Show me what you've learned through all of this."
“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
So I've spent the last 4 months learning to fight fear with FAITH. Each week that passes is another little miracle for me... physically and spiritually. Faith doesn't win every day, but it wins on most days and that's definitely progress for me!
"Our Heavenly Father's greatest hope is that through our fears we may choose to turn to Him. The uncertainties of earth life can help to remind each of us that we are dependent on Him. But that reminder is not automatic. It involves our agency. We must choose to take our fears to Him, choose to trust Him, and choose to allow Him to direct us. We must make these choices when what we feel most inclined to do is to rely more and more on our own frantic and often distorted thinking." (Virginia Hinckley Pearce)
This could quite possibly be the strangest pregnancy announcement you've (or I've!) ever read on a blog, but it's what's in my heart and I hope that's OK :o) Tomorrow I will be 21 weeks. We found out this week that we're having a GIRL, and I am finally feeling like the whole thing is actually really going to happen! My ultrasound looked great, and the baby looks healthy and active. Due date is August 14th, the same day as Bennett's due date 9 years ago. There will be a 7-year gap between Ethan and the baby--not what I would have planned--but it's what Heavenly Father's planned, so that's good enough for me :o) And this baby will come home to more love than she knows what to do with!
I know there are many of you who struggle in this area of family growing. You are why I've hesitated to post this in the first place. I know how hard it is to hear or read someone's pregnancy announcement--they would knock me back for days sometimes... I am so sorry if it hurts when you read this. I am praying that, instead, it gives you HOPE.
"Once you choose hope, anything is possible!" (A great quote I keep up in my room where I can see it all the time :o)
I hope that somehow you can see, through my experience, that Heavenly Father loves you and knows you and wants to bless you--and that often those blessings come in different ways than we thought they would or wanted them to. The Lord's timing is so not ours... but it's so much better. And if we can learn to truly trust in Him--to give Him our schedule and our timetable and our hearts--and know that He can do more with them than we can, then we can live each day filled with faith and peace.
"... Faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." Ether 12:6
**As a sidenote, here are some really great talks I've read that have helped me tremendously. No matter what your challenges are, these ones will give you encouragement and hope. Enjoy!
35 comments:
So I started reading this post during a conference call for work. Good thing I was on mute because I'm totally crying right now!! Oh, Karen, what a beautiful post. I am so happy for you and Jeremy. And a girl too!!
But I also want to say thank you for putting yourself out there. This post is so personal and touching. The quotes you put in here are fantastic and will soon be written for me to see regularly. Thank you!!
Love you!!! BT
Okay, me too...tears and more tears. I am so so happy for you Karen! I have had this nudge to call you the last few months and am feeling terrible now that I didn't follow through! So glad to hear this FANTASTIC news! You are all going to love that girl to pieces! And, thank you for your honesty. So many of us have experienced loss but we don't have the courage to speak out about it ... instead we put fake smiles on our faces (or on our blog!). Knowing your struggle, trials, faith, and success is so encouraging and heart warming. Truly. Again...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You and your family deserve the absolute best. Go get your girl shopping on! And keep us posted on your pregnancy!
I choked up while reading this aloud to Jacob. We are both ecstatically happy for you and your family. This post was so touching in such an amazing heartfelt way. Although I've never struggled with losing a baby due to miscarriage, I felt the loss of Brianna's twin keenly and feel for every woman out there who has experience losing a child. It's amazing how much the Lord manifested himself during that time with his peace and love to strengthen me in that trial, and I can only hope and pray that others who struggle with the burden of loss of a child can feel of that same love and peace. It's amazing what we can learn through our trials and how much many of them can also be viewed as blessings as we look back and ponder them. We are so blessed to have this gospel knowledge!
I am crying right now. I am so happy for you!
Thank you sharing this Karen! I'm SO incredibly happy for you. This has got to be one of the hardest things to go through- you've been in my prayers for a very long time. I love how you turned to the Lord and put your complete faith and trust in him (even accepting the situation and moving forward). I love you and can't wait to meet this new baby GIRL!! Yay!! :)
Yay a GIRL! She is going to be so spoiled it's going to be great. :) It's funny how things work on the Lord's time, and not your own. A difficult lesson for me to learn as well. SO happy for you!
Congratulations! You are going to love having a daughter! You are an inspiration to me with all you've endured and turning to the Lord at this time.
Congratulations! This is the GREATEST news. Those two sweet boys are going to be the BEST big brothers. What a lucky little girl she will be with a mom so wise.
Jenny
Congratulations Karen! I'm so excited for you. We so often don't realize what other people are going through and I'm sorry for all you've had to experience these last few years. But I'm thrilled at your happy ending!!! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and congrats one more time!
Nicole
congratulations! that is wonderful. I'm sorry for all the pains you've had to go through.
I really felt your heart. I know how hard this has been for you... I know what it's like to keep the faith in these dark moments. but i think you have handled it beautifully... this is life. So happy that 21 weeks have past.. so happy it's a girl... so happy your my sister. I love you so much!
I really felt your heart. I know how hard this has been for you... I know what it's like to keep the faith in these dark moments. but i think you have handled it beautifully... this is life. So happy that 21 weeks have past.. so happy it's a girl... so happy your my sister. I love you so much!
So excited for you! Thank you for sharing your journey.
I seriously can't imagine. Just going through it with a girl I visit teach - fasting for her, putting her name in the temple, all the prayers... has made me so emotional - and it's not even me! But it does make you realize what a miracle life is. And I am so excited for you - a GIRL for one, but also your boys are going to be so helpful and doting I bet! So crazy the different paths we all have to take to try to get to the same destination.
I am so happy for you that you finally got to write this post. I know it's been a long time in the making. I also know what you mean when you have mixed feelings about posting it. Your heart is much more tender to all those families who have trouble with conceiving especially after you go through it yourself.
When Damaris told me the other night that you guys were expecting a girl I was so thrilled for you all. You are definitely right about this little girl being adored and loved. I can't wait to see your boys with her. :) I think that will be one of the best pictures of all time.
Do you have any ideas about decor for the nursery? Let me know so I can start working on some projects for her. :) Congratulations on the many miracles that are taking place in your family. Love ya!
Congratulations! Thanks so much for sharing your personal thoughts. I know it's hard to put such personal stuff out there... but it really lifts all of us out here. It seems that most of us make our blogs look like everything is peachy all the time but I really appreciate when people put their hearts out there. I hope all the best for your pregnancy and I can't wait to see pictures of your baby girl!!
What a beautiful story of faith and hope and what a joyful announcement! Congratulations to all of you!
Oh Karen! I rejoice with you and Jeremy! What a tremendous blessing a new baby is/will be. Congratulations.
All my love.
WAHOO!! I was hoping by checking your blog I could find out the sex of the baby... and A GIRL!! I am so happy for you guys. So pumped you are having a girl!
YAY!!! Congratulations! Thank you so much for sharing these words and the quotations and scriptures. I was having a really low day and just being reminded of God's love for us and the importance of faith and hope was just what I needed to read tonight. I'm so excited for you all!
I am so excited for you guys. You are right this little girl is going to be soooo loved. You will love having older brothers for her..she will be one protected little gal. It is amazing what the Lord has in store for us, I am really glad that we have the church in our lives. This post will definetly lift those that need to be lifted :)
Bless your dear heart, my karesy. i don't have any words..........that's rare. just love you with all my heart.
oh karen, congrats, congrats. what a beautiful post. hope your pregnancy goes so smoothly..and what fun to have a sweet girl waiting at the end! congrats.
What a sweet post and we can't WAIT to meet that darling little girl! Congrats again.
Yeah!! I am so excited for you! I saw on your goodreads that you were reading a pregnancy book and I wondered but was hesitant to ask! And hooray...we LOVE girls!!
You are a great example of faith. Thanks for sharing your journey
I like how real this entry was. It makes me feel like I'm not alone when I'm having a hard time. Thanks, Karen. :)
Thank you for sharing that. It puts things into perspective for me when I get down about how "hard" life is sometimes. What a true example of faith and courage. Congrats on the baby girl! Can't wait to see her.
This news just made our Christmas! We are so happy and excited for you, and hope she's a strawberry-blond like her cute mom. xoxox
Karen - I just found your blog tonight and as I am sitting here...Sound of Music just came on the t.v.! Anyway, congratulations on your pregnancy and your faith. I will be praying for you and your family.
Nice to find you after so many years...Meghan Kennedy
I rushed over here to your blog after seeing some of the books you marked as "to-read" on goodreads (baby sleeping books . . . ). What a roundabout way to find out such a miracle! Congratulations on (now) 24 weeks of pregnancy, and for battling such trials along the way. Thank you for sharing your heart and your hope! You are much loved.
Thank you for the beautiful post. So excited, happy, relieved, joyous for you! And a girl! It's like the icing on the already delicious cake. So glad you've made it this far and my heart and prayers are with you. We have a larger age gap in our family than we would have liked as well but our baby has been showered with older sibling (and parent) love since way before day 1!
Ok, I am so sorry. I completely missed this and many of your last few posts. I don't know why I missed them. I am so happy for you. I hope the pregnancy is still going super well. I loved the things you said. I guess I never thought of a pregnancy announcement as being painful for some. I think I am insensitive to all of that. I am going to try and be better about that with others from now on. I hope you are feeling well and all is going swimmingly. Girls are so much fun!
HURRAY! I haven't been on here in way to long, but I can't tell you how excited I was to read this post this morning!
Thank you for sharing your real thoughts. You really are an amazing woman and I feel blessed to know you!
I am sending a Huge Hug. I am so excited for you.
Karen - I just found your blog and I wanted to say CONGRATS on your pregnancy, even though you are so far along. I heard rumors about it but didn't want to say anything because I never know whether rumors or true or not. But anyway I am excited you are having a girl! Our girls will only be a couple months apart! And thank you for the post - It is good to hear words of faith and optimism from people amidst their trials. :)
First of all, huge Congrats! That is so exciting, one that your pregnant, two that she's healthy, and three that you're gonna have a little princess to roam your home. Love it!
Also, I just think this post is so beautifully written. I love how open you write and I love all the quotes you gave---so inspirational!
In between my two oldest I had two year bout of infertility and miscarriages also and I know the heart break that goes along with that! At the time it seemed so overwhelming, but now that it's been a few years since then it's nice to reflect on the things I learned during that trial in my life. This post took me back there and reminded me of those feelings and the faith that for me was built during that time.
Can't wait to see pictures of your newest little one!
Ohh... and congrats to your hubby (and you) for making it so far in your residency. You are both braver than I am. :)
Take Care!
Michelle
Post a Comment