Thursday, March 22, 2007

Happy Birthday, Chris!


I love this picture! Today is my brother Christian's 22nd birthday. In honor of him, I'd like to take a few minutes to spotlight this amazing guy...

It's hard to put Chris into words. He's just... CHRIS! There are so many things I love about him. First of all, he's my twin :o) We are the only true redheads of all our siblings (sorry guys, it's true!). Chris and I share a deep love of music, books, and history. He just declared a Classics major and I couldn't be more proud!!!

Christian is deep. He takes time to think about things, and when he comes to his own conclusions, they're always profound. I love bouncing ideas off him and listening to what he has to say. I feel like every time I'm with Chris, I learn something new about him. I love that!

Chris doesn't follow the crowd--he follows his heart. He wanted to learn how to play the guitar, so he taught himself! Now he plays beautifully. Here's a picture of him and my dad singing "Father & Son" this summer at our family reunion:
When our family moved home from Saudi Arabia, Chris wanted to learn how to sing better, so he signed up for choir at school and dragged Freddy along with him. He surprised himself when he got into Show Choir as well!

Christian loves to learn. He's always reading some book... and it's usually way too deep for me :o) Last semester when Chris took a Music Theory class at BYU, I looked forward to his weekly calls telling me excitedly what he had discovered that day in lecture. His enthusiasm for learning is contagious to me...

One of the things I love most about Chris is his heart. I love how he loves his family. Watching him with my boys gives me a lot of joy. Can you tell what they like to do together? :o)


When my mom was younger, she had a dream that she had two boys close together who were best friends. She got them at the end: Christian and Frederick. They definitely had their moments, but they have fulfilled that dream (and continue it) for my mom. This summer they overlapped for about one month between when Chris came home from his mission in Brazil and when Freddy left for New Caledonia. Being able to share in that time with them was precious for our whole family.


As I watch my boys grow up together, I can only hope and pray that they will turn out like my sweet brothers. Memories of t-ball, baseball, riding bikes to the pool, blanket forts, moving to Saudi Arabia and singing at OHS come to my mind, and I smile as I think of the memories my boys are making, too. What great examples they have to look up to...

I love you, Kooha. Happy birthday!!!

2 comments:

The Great and Powerful Luce said...

I'm madly wiping the tears away, Karesy. Thank you for loving this red-headed brother so deeply. You do me proud. love you.

J* said...

Everyone in your family looks like very happy people---must be from playing Settlers. Heh heh heh. No really, you are obviously kin. (When was the last time you used that word...kin?)
I wanted to comment about your residency post when you mentioned the valentine thing. The best part about that day for me was visiting your house to drop it off because your doorstep was piled high, overflowing literally with valentines from friends for you and your boys. What a loved, and loving, person you are!