Wednesday, September 26, 2007

My Eenie Bear

In true 2nd-child fashion, I forgot to blog about Ethan's birthday last week. It wasn't that I didn't remember his birthday--it was just such a crazy week that I never sat down at the computer to put something together for a post. Better late than never, so....

HAPPY 4th BIRTHDAY, ETHAN!!! It doesn't seem fair that I should only write 4 things that I love about him just because he's only 4, so I'll write as many as I can think of right now:

1. Ethan is the funniest kid I know. He doesn't try to be, which makes him all the funnier! (I know I am using plenty of incorrect grammar--get over it). He replaces the "L" sound with a "Y", making phrases like "I yike yicking yoyyipops, Mom" drop me to my knees. Ethan makes me laugh all day long--Heavenly Father knew I needed him!

2. Ethan is the best brother Bennett could have ever asked for. He will do anything Bennett tells him to, including things that will either: a)hurt himself, or b)get him in big trouble with Mom. He will risk it all for his big bro. I can't decide yet if I think this is endearing or something I need to nip in the bud. It's still pretty sweet (most of the time).

3. I must follow that up, however, with the fact that Ethan definitely has his own mind. He has very specific ideas about what he likes and doesn't like, and there is no way anyone can sway his opinion--even if that means risking future blackmail (don't ask about the picture :o) I think this is great and will serve him well (again, most of the time--unless I am trying to get him to eat dinner or put on "the wong shoes").

4. Every time I look at Ethan, I think he looks more and more like his dad, which always makes me smile as I think about what Jeremy must have looked like as a boy. And when he gets that little mischievous grin and cocks his head to one side, I know exactly why Jeremy melted his mom's heart, even when he was in trouble :o)

5. Ethan LOOOOOVES babies, especially his Baby Charlotte. He has such a sensitive heart--today at Target, he heard a baby crying a few aisles over. He looked at me very seriously and said, "Mom, we need to go over and rock that baby." I am so excited for the day he can have a little sibling to love on...

6. Ethan is my faithful sidekick, my little snuggle-bug, and my loyal pal. We decided not to put him in preschool this year, and I couldn't be happier. When will we ever get this precious one-on-one time together again? I'm milking it for all it's worth. I love you, my sweet Bear!

9 comments:

Sharlynn said...

Happy Birthday Ethan! Karen I love love love your posts. I can just hear you talking along. I hope Ethan had a great birthday!

Poulsen Family said...

Such a sweet entry; I can't believe he's four already!

Bruce said...

You always make the sweetest posts for your boys! I love this. He does look so much like Jeremy. What cute boys! :)

Rochelle said...

What a sweetheart! Love that smile.

katieo said...

So cute. My Sam replaces his L's with Y's too! I think it's darling!
What a great post! :) Happy Birthday Ethan!

becca said...

You express your love for your boys -- all of them -- so well! What lucky boys. Happy Birthay, Ethan!

Can I please ask about that silly bare-bottom picture? (laugh)

Anne Woods said...

we love you Ethan! Happy Birthday! He looks great in his dinosaur attire!

Peter and Wendy said...

Conference weekend always get us thinking about you guys! We miss you and hope life is treating you all well. Your boys are growing so fast they seem like such a great blend of Rich and Axelgard genes, we see both of you in them! We visit your blog often to stay in the loop.
You guys are always such an inspiration!

daveghax said...

i love you captain weenie!