Wednesday, September 05, 2007

On the road again...


This is by far one of the nastiest pictures of me EVER, but it is a symbol of me getting over my pride in more ways than one... On Saturday my dad and I ran a 5K together in celebration of his 54th birthday (doesn't he look great?) and my first race since my double leg surgery last November. My dad has always been my loyal cheerleader, and it was so fitting that we should do this together. I think he even got teary-eyed at one point in the race--now you know who I get it from, Heather! What a fantastic memory... Thanks, Dad!

It's been a tough road getting back to the point where my body is conditioned enough to run at all--before my surgery, it used to kill my legs to just walk up a hill. And I know I still have a long way to go before I'm truly happy with the way I look, but I am so proud of myself for deciding to make changes and actually following through with them!!! I've been diligently working out all summer long, trying to eat right and take care of myself--and I've found that it doesn't matter as much HOW I look as how I feel that makes the real difference. The mental changes I've seen have surprised me more than anything else. When Mom is happy with herself, she's a lot happier with everyone! I've got no plans to stop any time soon (ever!), so I will keep you posted on my progress.

This is a sensitive spot for me, and it takes a lot to post that awful picture and to admit that I have changes to make. Do any of you have things you want to change, and have you made any progress this summer? Or do you have plans to change but can't seem to get started? Let's support each other!!!

19 comments:

Ashlee said...

BFL, babe! Rock on!

lisa h. said...

i always have plans and don't get started...i'm wanting a new winter wardrobe so maybe that will motivate me to eat a little better and hopefully drop a few pounds!

great job doing that run! i've never done a marathon before...that's really cool!

Heather K said...

You look GREAT! And congrats on your race! What an amazing accomplishment! You never cease to amaze me! And thanks for all your advice! You are an incredible woman, mother, wife and friend! Thanks for always being there!

Katherine said...

Good for you Karen!! Right on!

mindy said...

very cool, karen! I had no idea you had double leg surgery. What exactly was that? Both knees? Yikes! Way to go on the 5k. I used to run all the time, but I'm pretty sure that I have a ways to go now before I'm up for a 5k. Keep it up, you fabulous woman you!

Poulsen Family said...

Way to go Karen! I want to try a 5K and eventually a half marathon someday. I am going to start a running program when it starts to cool off a little here. There are so many things that I want to improve, good for you for making the steps! I started tracking my progress last month for my exercising and I'm down 6 lbs. and a little over 5 inches from last month...now I've just got to get the eating under better control.

Sydney said...

That's fantastic Karen! I ran on the treadmill today for about 6 minutes before I had to slow it down to a walk- so a 5K, that's awesome! I would love to be a runner but I have to convince my mind first before my body is able to follow. Thanks for the motivation.

becca said...

Karen, that is fabulous! First of all, fabulous that you ran a 5K after surgery. Second of all, fabulous that you are working on a goal and sharing it with us.
I do have plans that are faltering right now -- I want to keep an organized house. Help!

Karen said...

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement!!! I wish I could express how much this whole "being nicer to myself" thing is helping me.... It's cheap therapy for an intern's wife :o) Why didn't I figure this out earlier?
I'll devote an entire post later on about the resources I've been using that really help me--both for exercising/eating right and organizing my home. So look for it!

Sharlynn said...

Karen once again YOU ARE AWESOME! That is why you are one of my top people that I admire and really look up to. I want to be like you when I grow up. : ) There are things that I want to improve on and I am always trying to get better. I tell myself that someday these weeknesses will become strengths because that is what Heavenly Father promises us. I just need to do my part which can be very difficult at times. Love ya and you are truely amazing!

Bruce said...

This totally brought back memories of you and I getting up early so that we could get our "after baby bodies" a little more fit. Remember our 5K? You've inspired me. . . again! :) Thank you!

katieo said...

My favorite part of that picture is Ethan hugging your leg, lol! Way to go, running that 5k, and after surgery too!

"The mental changes I've seen have surprised me more than anything else. When Mom is happy with herself, she's a lot happier with everyone!"

AMEN! I've noticed the same thing!

Lindsey from The R House said...

congrats on the race! they are the best motivators! you should do the moab half marathon in march. it's awesome and you can start training in january as a new years resolution. love it.

the r house is in the middle of making changes right now too. let's just say we are all about weight watcher points right now!

The Great and Powerful Luce said...

kareby, love the picture and love you! your dad was so honored that you would invite him to run with you. jer and the boys and i were just grateful to be your cheerleaders!

bfl!

love, mama

lukeandjillfamily said...

You go girl!! I'm a so impressed--I new your recovery was going great, but a race. I'm impressed. It looks like your boys are getting so big. I'm glad to see that Bennetts birthday was a success. It looks like friends are easy for him. Sure wish would could have see you and I'm so sad that I have to miss the big party this Friday--my work schedule is so awful lately!! I would love to see you just before if you not too busy--I'll give you a call.

I am Laura said...

I think you look fantastic and I am inspired by you. Your dad does look great. Wow!! Good for you two.

I plan on changing a million things about me every day, but I never do it. This is my lifelong battle. Wish I could be more like you.

J* said...

Karen,
I don't think you look awful AT ALL! I think you look tremendously happy, satisfied, and have that "I did it!" glow. :) I just love you and am so inspired I'm weepy, too! Maybe we really are related.
~Jessica
p.s. Your two boys are killing me they are so cuuuute.

The Great and Powerful Luce said...

karezy, amazing you are. it was such a privilege to run with you, to be beside you all the way, to even be asked to go along. and to see all your amazing friends and their support, what a blessing you all are to each other, and to your families. as i've always said, you're perfect. and i love you, Dda

Jen I said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know you had double leg surgery!! I can't imagine. Sometimes I get really frustrated with mortality. I started having back problems at 24 and haven't had a pain-free day since. My husband doesn't really like to hear about my complaints, but sometimes it's just so much better to tell people what your struggles are than to feel like no one knows what your life is really like. I've thought that too lately - the blog could be a good outlet!