
Our dear friends from Columbus, the Selphs, came to visit us this month. The kids all had a long weekend so we made a time of it! I seriously don't think we could have packed more into the time they spent with us, but it also couldn't have gone any better than it did. We
loved having them here... And Jeremy got the ENTIRE weekend off; I have no idea how that happened, but I was NOT complaining. It was so fun to be with him :o)
On Friday, we took the Metro downtown to spend the day in DC. We hit up the Air & Space Museum, where I think we dropped $75 on lunch at McDonald's for the 11 of us. At least we know to pack a lunch next time... The kids got to tour a space station, check out how astronaut outfits have improved over the last 50 years, and see the
Spirit of St. Louis. This picture says it perfectly...

Then we went to the Natural History Museum across the street, where the kids had a
blast. We went through the Fossil exhibit and saw all kinds of dinosaurs, which of course everyone loved.

We checked out the stuffed mammals as well, and saw lots of animals that we all hope we never see in real life. But the highlight of the day was the 3D IMAX movie we saw, called "Sea Monsters". It was
incredible. I won't give anything away, but if you can get down here while it's still playing, you'll be glad you did :o) When all the museums closed, we headed down Constitution Avenue for a walk along the mall and up to the Washington Monument. The sky was turning to dusk and some storm clouds started to roll in, but it was actually really pretty! I wish this wasn't so blurry--it would be a great Christmas card picture :o)

And this was all just on Friday!!!
After the baseball games on Saturday morning, we headed out to Mount Vernon (George Washington's home) for their Colonial Family Fair. It was the most beautiful day--a perfect one to spend at this gorgeous place. (Be prepared for lots of pictures).

The drive down was almost worth the entire trip--driving along George Washington Parkway through Old Town Alexandria, along the Potomac River--aahhh, doesn't it make you want to
visit us??? :o) One weekend a year, Mount Vernon does a colonial-style fair, where families can come and learn what it was like to live at Mount Vernon when it was a working farm (during GW's time). There were displays teaching us how to make candles, put on horseshoes, make flax from straw, etc. The kids had so much fun playing these games, and no electricity was involved!

After our tour of the house, we sat out on the back lawn that faces the Potomac with this gorgeous view!

We even got to meet the big man himself... George Washington was there!!!


It was a LONG day, but oh so fun. I'm already putting it on the calendar for next year...
We love you, Selphs!!! Thanks for coming to visit us--it was perfect :o)
4 comments:
Looks like you had a great time! We used to live about 10 minutes from Mt. Vernon and had an annual pass...we were there at least 2 times a month. SO MUCH FUN! Go the week after Christmas...they have cider and more festival stuff, plus you can go into the 3rd story of the house.
Okay so I am a little jealous that you got to see the selphs. how fun! i wish that we could come visit you guys too!
You guys look like you are always up to something fun! I can't believe how big the Selph's kids are! It's amazing that times doesn't stand still when I moved from Columbus! And I am glad Jeremy was able to go with you too! (Ethan's hair looks like it is pretty dark too...when did that happen?)
Oh Karen, I just relived our wonderful weekend together thorugh your blog. I loved, loved, loved it. I am living for our next visit. I finally got my blog up and running this weekend. It is simplyselph.blogspot.com. Check it out. Hopefully it will get better with time, but it is the pictures that I was trying to get up. I love you guys!!!
Post a Comment