Saturday, May 10, 2008

Circle of Life: Part II

I love how everything in life comes around... Just two weeks after Grandma Nielsen's funeral, Jer and I were on a plane again--this time headed to my brother Chris' wedding in San Diego. Jeremy's sister Rachel lives in New Jersey, and she was so sweet to drive down and watch the boys for the weekend so Jer and I could have a little getaway together. Thanks, Rach!!!

It was so fun to just sit on the plane together and read, sleep, play sudoku, and watch movies--we seriously watched "Lawrence of Arabia" the whole trip home; are we nerds or what??? Ah, the simple pleasures you appreciate after you have children... And we hadn't even gotten to California yet!

My parents rented a beach house in Carlsbad--what a great idea! My dad and I ran along the beach Saturday morning--running with him is becoming one of my favorite traditions. I also loved just having everyone around and watching them interact with each other. Jeremy and my grandpa sat on the couch for at LEAST a couple hours talking about everything under the sun :o) Chris and Jenny and all their friends who came for the wedding were in and out all the time--it was fun getting to know them better.

Friday night we went to the Four Seasons Hotel for dinner with the immediate family of the bride and groom--um, incredible... Let's just say healthy eating and portions went out the window that night :o)


Saturday's wedding was absolutely perfect. (Except for the fact that Jenny's sister Brooke and I wore the same dress, it was a perfect day :o) I guess that was one day we could get away with it--oldest sisters of the bride and groom are supposed to wear the same dress, right...right???)
Grandpa Norm performed the sealing ceremony. He also performed ours, so it brought back lots of memories. I hope Chris and Jenny will always remember the feeling in that room. I've never forgotten how our sealing felt. It was magic...

The weather could not have been more beautiful for pictures. Not too hot, perfectly blue sky against the brilliant white of the temple. Here are some of the shots I got:






After the sealing we headed over for a formal dinner overlooking La Jolla Cove. It was beautiful!!! I was so busy talking that I forgot to pull out my camera (you're surprised, right?). But look at my precious niece Charlotte in her flowergirl's dress:

I just LOVE the feeling of weddings. It's a wonderful joining of two families. We think the Hansens are fantastic people--their immediate and extended family were so fun to hang out with that day. At the end of the day, we were all saying "I hope we can get together again!" It was almost sad to leave...

Lastly, one of my favorite shots from the day... Love you, Uncle Beef!

Congratulations, Chris and Jenny. What a beautiful weekend--hope you thought it was as perfect as we did. We can't wait to spend more time with you!!!

10 comments:

Anne Woods said...

great shots- what a beautiful, fun weekend. So glad you and jeremy got some good together time. Wished i could have seen more of you! we've got to a plan a trip revolving around just seeing each other... happy wedding.

Lollidale Farm said...

What a fun trip! I love weddings! You and Jeremy look great in that picture with the temple and the blue skies in the background. Love it!! I had to laugh about you and the SIL wearing the same dress. I was searching for a picture of the 2 of you together! It's always such a bummer when you arrive someplace and find someone dressed the same. I'm sure you guys made the best of it, though! :)

Tagan said...

Oh how I wish I was there!!! Seeing all those pictures just gets me excited for the reunion this summer... it also makes me so sad that I won't get to catch up with you. We really need to plan something where the "fearsome foursome" can get together and be crazy teenagers again!

jamie t. said...

How nice for you both to have a trip together. The weather looked fantastic and you and Jeremy looked so nice in front of the temple.

Poulsen Family said...

Wow, what striking contrast in the temple picture with you and Jer, so beautiful! I'm glad you two were able to enjoy yourselves. We're excited to be heading out to UT in about a week and I'm sure hoping we can rope a few family members to watch the kids for us so we can have some time for just us.

Lorraine said...

Love the pics of Chris and Jenny's wedding, wish I could have been there. You look smashing!

Rochelle said...

So fun to see your family all beautiful and happy! Fun pictures...glad you had a good trip (no kids...hello!??, nice).

Bruce said...

You look so good girlfriend. I love the pictures. I am glad you got to have a trip with Jeremy. Every couple needs that every once in a while! :)

Heather K said...

Karen,

You look amazing! Oh, I wish we live closer to each other! I love San Diego! It is always so beautiful and Scott and I went on our honeymoon there... So great!

I am glad you and jeremy could just get away. That is the best! I love re-kindling with my hubby.

Keep the blogs coming. You do a great job!

Talk with you soon!

Heather

becca said...

Thanks for all the great pictures of your family -- some of my favorite people! What a beautiful occasion. We visited Carlsbad a few weeks before your trip there. I thought it was gorgeous -- a lovely little beach town. How smart to make the wedding a couple-only trip.

That plate of chocolate cake with the "congratulations" drizzle -- FANTASTIC. I'm so glad you took a picture of it!