Sunday, June 08, 2008

Lake Powell 2008

Ah, finally... that time of year we Riches look forward to every 365 days. And when it actually arrives, it always goes by too fast!!! 

We have been going to Lake Powell with Jeremy's family for 8 years now, starting with the summer we were engaged. I fell in love with that beautiful part of the country the first time I laid eyes on it, and still after all these years :o) I get giddy packing up for our trip. My brother Dave has been coming with the Riches almost as long as I have--in fact, he's probably come without me more often than not! He called the week before we left and said, "OK, it's official. I've started having Lake Powell dreams." And I knew exactly what he meant... because I was having them too!

2008's expedition turned out fantastic. After a cold, rainy, and even snowy drive down, we were afraid this trip might be a repeat of last year--where in every picture we were bundled up from head to toe--it was FREEZING! But by the time we passed the Utah/Arizona border, we knew this year would be different... We always have a contest to see who can be the first to see the lake--I think my nephew Zac got it this time. And every time we come around that bend, I tear up! Honestly, I think I cried for joy about 10 times on this trip just because we were there. Let's just say it's been a year... Our family really needed this vacation :o)

You haven't experienced Lake Powell unless you've experienced it with the Rich family. Everything is planned out to the T! We were getting emails and phone calls at least a week before we flew out, with questions about what we wanted for breakfast on the drive down to the lake, making sure we remembered our aqua socks, life jacket sizes, etc. I LOVE how organized they are. Jeremy's mom makes menus for each and every meal we eat, including recipes and directions--plus she's already made as much as possible beforehand and it's already packaged up, labeled and ready to go. She's amazing!!! We are each assigned a partner to work with when we're in charge of making a meal--this system is a well-oiled machine :o) Seriously, folks, the best food in the world is eaten at Lake Powell--and it's not just because you're really hungry after a long, arduous day of:
 wakeboarding
more wakeboarding
MORE wakeboarding
driving the boat
fishing
and much, much more. Rough life, eh?

One of my favorite things to do while we're at LP is to take pictures, mostly just to get me through till we go again next year! This time around, I got some fantastic shots of our family just hanging out together... UNO was the game of choice, there was lots of coloring, movie watching (I highly recommend the BBC's North and South mini-series, you fellow Pride and Prejudice lovers--you won't be disappointed), and of course talking, relaxing, and smiling. Because we are all spread out around the country now, this week together with grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins is just precious, precious time...









Thanks to Tom & Ruth for doing all that you do to make the week so magical for all of us, year in and year out! 
(And Ash, we missed you a TON and hope that you can come next time :o)

21 comments:

becca said...

I looked through these pictures TWICE just because it looks like so much fun. Then I showed Matt the pictures and said, "Why can't we do this, too?" Though, I'm not sure I would attempt it without the renowned expertise of your in-laws. I am so glad you had a fabulous time, and I wish just a bit that my last name was Rich.

Drostan and Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness that looks like SO much FUN! What a wonderful vacation.

We sure miss you guys. I love being able to catch up a bit through blogs. You look as beautiful as ever.

I am Laura said...

Looks like lots and lots of fun.

daveghax said...

great post face!

Anne Woods said...

oh man... i am jealous. looks so beautiful and relaxing. Thanks for posting... glad you had such a good time!

Anie said...

HOW FUN!!!!! What an AMAZING week- and AWESOME tradition!!! Such gorgeous pictures! Glad to hear that the weather was nice and everything went well for you guys!

Lis said...

That is the life right there! Who! Im so jealous... the landscape (i miss dearly) the lake! LIving in a swim suit! Oh! Youre so lucky! that looks like SOOOOOOOO much fun! LUCKY!

Lollidale Farm said...

What an awesome vacation! What a fun time! You certainly DID deserve a great trip like that. I'm glad you guys were able to relax and enjoy. GREAT pictures!!

Ashlee said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip!! Great job documenting it. Thanks for the shout out! I REALLY hope that I can make it next time.

Love you, Karesy.

Monica said...

Hey Karen,

I found your blog through my little sister Brooke. It looks great! I have a question. We are getting ready to go on a vacation soon and I loved the idea that your mother-in-law had about frozen dinners already prepared. Email me and tell me how she did it and what were some of the ones that tasted the best even though they were prepared ahead of time.

Thanks! Monica
brownzoo5@yahoo.com

mfreeman37 said...

Jeremy Rich! It really has been forever. I hate to admit it, but I stumbled across your blog while, as the wife calls it, "blog stalking". I'm not even sure how I ended up here. Didn't have time to read through everything here, but sounds like things are going really well for you!

Drop me a line sometime so that we can catch up. Maybe next time you're in town, we can borrow your Mom's minivan and go fishing in the Uintas!!

I look forward to hearing back from you and catching up again.

Matt.Freeman@disney.com

Poulsen Family said...

So jealous! We were just there, but only long enough to drive through on our way to UT. Wishing we could have stopped. What a fun tradition!

Angie Startin said...

Hey Karen!! I have such a spot in my heart for Lake Powell. I am glad you had so much fun! Your boys are so cute, btw...

Kortney Manning said...

Oh beautiful Lake Powell. Just the other day Greg said, "I wonder if the Rich's still have us on their 'list' for the Lake Powell slip?" And we hope you do! Looks like a great time, as always. Glad you had some fun, relaxing time with your fam! Take care!

Heather K said...

I have only been to Powell once, it was still cold, but fun. You guys look like you had the time of your lives! It is SO great to have family time! We miss you a lot! And, we are still on the "list" (as the Manning's put it) too, right?

Sharlynn said...

It has been awhile since I got on your blog. You have been up to a lot of fun. Good for you. I love Lake Powell but I haven't been for years. How fun for you guys to have an annual trip. There is nothing better than being with family in such a fun beautiful place.

a.k.a. Suga Jones said...

It sounds and looks like you guys had tons of fun. Do you have any pics of you and Jeremy and the boys?

lisa h. said...

can i come next year? what a fun tradition!! i think i'll have to start up something like that in a few years.

Camille said...

What a cute family!!! :)

Anonymous said...

KAREN! Hey there! First off, let me tell you how jealous I am of you and this whole Lake Powell trip! AWESOME. I haven't been there in like...5 years? This is like one of the main reasons I loved growing up in Utah. Secondly, I'm glad you found us! I didn't even know you were a fellow blogger. Nice! This will be nice to check up on you guys! We are SO glad we had friends like you up in MD!!

Sydney said...

How fun! Jared's family goes every year too but we haven't been for the past 4 or 5 years. Hopefully now that we're back in Utah we'll make it next year.

Seeing your pictures makes me really miss being there!