Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Let's start with today...


Happy birthday, Ethan! 
(photo courtesy of Andrea Marie Photography, more on that later)

Our (not-so) little guy is 5 today. How in the world did that happen? It feels like just yesterday, blah blah blah. But seriously, it really does... Ethan cracks us up. He is way too smart for his own good, calls us on everything, and says the funniest things that actually make sense once you think about it. 

For example, a couple weekends ago Jeremy's Aunt Kathleen came to visit us. When we picked her up at the Metro and she got in the car, Kathleen immediately commented on how much bigger the boys were than the last time she saw them. She said, "Wow, your mom must be feeding you well!" Ethan, without batting an eye, said, "No, she doesn't!" (huh?).... "We feed ourselves!" We laughed about that one all the way home. Everything has to make sense in Ethan's world... 

Ethan's into lots of fun things right now: baseball, computers, his Spiderman scooter, anything artsy... he so did not get that last one from me. From the time he was young, Ethan would pull out the paper and markers or crayons, sit up to the table and color till the cows came home. For his birthday this year, we gave him a sketch book with step-by-step instructions on how to draw specific animals, buildings, etc. He is up at the table as I write... 

Ethan now also loves taking pictures. He is enamored with the camera--I'm actually hoping he'll bust my old one so I have a valid excuse to get a digital SLR, so Ethan has free reign with this camera. Here are just a few examples from his most recent portfolio (these ones have been chosen after serious consideration; I cannot tell you how many too-inappropriate-for-my-blog shots I found when I was downloading these--whose kids are these?):

Action shot
Still life
Candid Portraits 
(note the hazy outline--I believe it's his fingerprints, but gives the right effect nonetheless, no?)

Self-portraits... these ones speak for themselves :o)


We just love our Eenie Bear. He is so full of life and energy, he loves to snuggle and cuddle with us, and he is just a blast to hang out with! I cherish the time he and I get to spend together this year before he goes off to full-day kindergarten next Fall...

Happy birthday, silly goose!!!

8 comments:

Heather K said...

He does look so much older! Holy cow! I remember when you were sitting at church having contractions and you were wishing you could be holding him in your arms!
He is so cute and we miss him (and you all) so much! I hope he has a wonderful day!

Lollidale Farm said...

Happy birthday, Ethan! I miss seeing you at my house every week. Way to go on the pictures!
What a hoot he is!

Kathy said...

Sweet Ethan....how I love that kid! Seriously, when he held my hand last October and gave me hugs....and in July.....made my day. Actually, it still makes my day! :)

Anie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ETHAN!!! We've been thinking about you ALL DAY today!!! Hope you had one AWESOME day!!! Thanks for being you and loving Madi SO MUCH!! YOu are such a good friend! We love you!
Love, the Jenkins

Anne Woods said...

we love you Ethan! happy birthday!

daveghax said...

oh weenus maximus! what a fine young rat you've become. here's to 4 more!

a.k.a. Suga Jones said...

What a funny kid! I love that he is so expressive. Congrats on having two great boys!

Jaymie Quigley said...

Karen! I just bumped into your blog. I can't believe your kids are so big! Cute, cute pictures.