Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Is anyone there?

If you are... well, hello! I have completely fallen off the blogging bandwagon, and I don't know exactly when I'll get back on consistently. I am re-evaluating my motivation for blogging, if that makes any sense. If not, that explanation will have to come later...

But I had to post about something, it's too important not to! All you fellow Pride&Prejudice lovers, read on... My friend Becca posted this last week, and I couldn't have said it any better, so here she is:

"I favor Austen-esque romance over any modern-day chic flick. This weekend, I watched a movie that follows the Pride & Prejudice formula almost exactly. It's called "North and South" and it was made by the BBC (in 2000, I think). The formula WORKS, I am telling you. Here are the stats:

Length
P&P: 6 hours
N&S: 4 hours

First impression of main love interest
P&P: intolerable
N&S: insufferable

Rejection of main love interest mid-movie
P&P: beautifully tragic
N&S: equally tragic

Swoon factor of main love interest by end of movie
P&P: epic
N&S: complete








Ohmygosh, it was so good! I need to talk to someone about it. That part where he watches her leave, saying, "Look back! Look at me!" It was so romantic. Go watch it, then call me. You have 4 hours. Go."

I watched this movie last summer at Lake Powell, and I have to concur with everything Becca said. It really was fantastic! Jeremy and I promptly came home and looked up everything we could find on North & South's author, Elizabeth Gaskell. She wrote about 35 years after Jane Austen, and her stories are a little more raw--that's the only way I can think to explain her writing! She delves into the issues surrounding the Industrial Revolution in England, of course with a little love interest mixed in there... maybe a LOT!

Gaskell's most popular works, North & South, Cranford, and Wives & Daughters, were made into movies by the BBC. We have seen them all (are you really surprised? really?) and can heartily vouch for each and every one :o)

Anyway, here's the reason I broke my 2 1/2 month-long hiatus from blogging: if you get the Costco coupons, there is one for $10 off any BBC DVD collection in stock. Well, guess what??? The Elizabeth Gaskell collection, which includes all 3 of the above-mentioned masterpieces, is included! It's originally $29.99 (which I think is a steal in and of itself), but with the coupon I got all 3 for $20!!! These are the things I get excited about... sorry! I even paged Jeremy at work to tell him the good news :o)

So there you have it--and the coupon is good through August 2nd. So get going!!!
I swear this is not a commercial for Costco :o)

12 comments:

Safire said...

I love that movie! :) Thanks for recommending it a few months ago. Sad that I am not a member to costco!! :(

Sharlynn said...

It is nice to hear from you even if it is a commercial for Costco. ;) Just kidding. You are awesome. Thanks for the tip. That is a steal!

Bruce said...

Oh how this brings back memories! I love it! I will have to go watch these movies now! Thank you! :)

Mary said...

A year too late! I watched North & South on you tube forever ago and just had to own it! I got Wives and Daughters for Christmas...I just need Cranford. They were worth it. I still watch them over and over. Loved the books too.

jamie t. said...

North and South is probably my favorite movie ever! Thank for the tip. We are costco members and I didn't realize that they were on sale. I'll have to check it out next time I am in.

becca said...

I don't think I've ever been quoted before. Funny! I was so excited about the $10 off coupon, I brought all my kids to Costco in the middle of the day just to buy the movies. I didn't even get a cart -- I just got the movies! I've never shopped at Costco without filling a cart -- I had to use self restraint.

Now I'm a commercial for Costco, too!

Laura said...

that was definitely worth blogging about. i'd already read becca's post and was wanting to watch the movie but had just not gotten around to it. now i really have no excuses! off to costco i go!

SuburbiaMom said...

Thanks for the info! Happy to visit your blog again :)

Anne Woods said...

I will always be here.... waiting for a post... of my nephews preferably. but this is second best. If only we had a Costco in Hannibal. Want to get it for me and put it on my tab? :) oh please. Anything to keep me occupied over here! xoxo

Shauna said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always up for a good movie. I'll put it on my list of movie rentals.

Katherine said...

I am here. I would love to read an update and see a picture or two. I hope you are doing well and surviving the life of a resident's wife!

JMadd said...

Hi Karen! It took me a while to find your blog after you left a comment on mine. And I couldn't agree more on North & South. I loved that movie so much more than P&P. It looks like your family is doing well. You can drop me a line at madden_jen@hotmail.com.